starting strength gym

Thread: Recuring pain below knee

Default Recuring pain below knee

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I have had a recurring injury for about a year and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what it is.

I experience pain while squatting, climbing stairs in an area below the knee. If you follow the inside edge of you kneecap down, roughly an inch below the knee cap that's where the pain is.

This first occurred after I took a week off and returned back to squatting. I took two weeks off used "rice" and started again with building up with low weights and was fine for another 12 weeks. Took another week off and exactly the same thing happened again, this time I added foam rolling and stretching (TKE etc) and took a month off. Bring me to now same thing has happened again.

I have visited the doctor, who suggested inflamed tendon and recommended Ice, stretch and also gave me some painkillers. Its also not bad enough to for me to get it scanned on the NHS so I would have to private which I can't afford.
    I thought perhaps my form so I got myself checked out at a local powerlifting gym in the summer.

It seem odd to me that it only happens when I return to training after a few days off, I always deload, warm up for 15 min's before hand and stretch during my days off.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sounds like patellar tendonitis. For the last month or so I've been battling tendonitis that seems to travel all around the knee. I've resorted to using a knee wrap (not very tight, but tighter than I can get with my sleeve) on the affected knee, and that allows me to keep training. On off days, I ice, foam roll, and stretch.

It seemed to be finally getting better but yesterday I felt a pop in my knee when I was getting off the floor and knew it was gonna be extra sore today. It was and I actually had to wrap quite tightly. Oddly enough, there is no pain whatsoever from normal activities: only squatting deep. From what I've read, this is something that will take a while to heal and it might just go away for seemingly no reason.

Also from what I've read, it could be a form issue. Make sure your knees aren't caving inward and/or traveling too far forward, and keep the weight off your toes.

Hopefully, you'll be able to train through it like I've been able to so far. It's a huge distraction for sure.
    Last edited by 67629; 12-06-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Yes, seems your right, Any exercises you recommend to strengthen/realign the tendon?

Also seems to be quite a few bits on google suggesting muscle imbalances could be to blame so I will look into testing/addressing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Archtronics View Post
    Yes, seems your right, Any exercises you recommend to strengthen/realign the tendon?

Also seems to be quite a few bits on google suggesting muscle imbalances could be to blame so I will look into testing/addressing that.
    Correctly performed squats will solve this problem. I understand you had your form checked by a local gym, but I rarely see these local gyms giving good advice on form. Post up a form check.

A "muscle imbalance" is definitely not to blame. Any tests/solutions google will turn up will most likely be silly unilateral exercises that don't solve the real problem which is fixing your squat.