starting strength gym

Thread: Ibuprofen for performance

Default Ibuprofen for performance

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I use Ibuprofen when my elbow tendonitis/tendonosis flares up which can be predictable based on where I'm at in my program and the weights I'm using. I tend to have improvement in my performance at this time but I'd assume it is the programming rather than a pharmacological effect.

However, I saw this on your website regarding USAPL Raw Nationals 2012:
    "Ibuprofen loading started 4 days ago so I’m fast, fresh, and this is an old tip I picked up from some high level Olympic lifting dudes." I've also seen an article from Greg Everett that said something similar.

Can you tell me anything about this loading protocol and how it differs from regular usage for pain? I use typical adult dosages which usually last 10-14 days every 6 weeks.

I was dosing it at 2400mg x 4-5 days prior to a meet. I'm not sure if it's because it kills any residual inflammation that's hanging around or if there's some increased anabolic processes going on from the NSAID working synergistically with the decreased training stress on the body, which nets a more complete recovery, or both. I do notice that I feel subjectively more fresh at the meets, however.

This question was actually one that I'd been wanting to ask as well after reading the same blog post last week. Is that 2400mg in a single bolus or split into smaller doses (800mg x3) throughout each day?

I'm registered for my first ever meet this February and I've been reading (and greatly appreciating) all of your past posts/blogs about meet prep. Thanks once more for all the support you provide the community!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    This question was actually one that I'd been wanting to ask as well after reading the same blog post last week. Is that 2400mg in a single bolus or split into smaller doses (800mg x3) throughout each day?

I'm registered for my first ever meet this February and I've been reading (and greatly appreciating) all of your past posts/blogs about meet prep. Thanks once more for all the support you provide the community!
    600mg 4 times a day (make sure to check with your doctor before starting or stopping any medications. I'm not your doctor and this is not medical advice).

Hope you have a good meet, Mike!

I assume you've only done this during a taper?

Have you ever tried it during the most stressful phases of training?

Quote Originally Posted by konkoba98 View Post
    I assume you've only done this during a taper?

Have you ever tried it during the most stressful phases of training?
    Yea only during a taper or acute injury. Depending on the most stressful phases of training, one could make the argument that preventing the totality of fatigue to be imparted on the body might negatively effect the subsequent adaptations. Meh.

I deal with a lot of inflammation in my shoulders due to some previous injuries/surgeries.

Whenever shit starts to really bother me I do 800mg 4x a day for 5 days and it helps immensely. How often can this be safely repeated?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    I deal with a lot of inflammation in my shoulders due to some previous injuries/surgeries.

Whenever shit starts to really bother me I do 800mg 4x a day for 5 days and it helps immensely. How often can this be safely repeated?
    We don't know really and it depends on lots of things, particularly your risk for ulcer and cardiovascular disease.