starting strength gym

Thread: Plantar fasciitis?

Default Plantar fasciitis?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Went to the gym Wed night and did squats and deadlifts. Nothing out of the ordinary happened (I did miss my top single on deads) and I felt fine when I left.

I woke up about 2AM and got up to use the bathroom and had a stabbing pain in my heel. I could hardly walk. Got better near the end of the day but yesterday it was back again when I woke up. Today is not so bad and as I walk/limp around it is feeling a little better.

From what I have read, this seems to be a classic case of plantar fasciitis.

I do not run. Is it possible something I did when squatting or deadlifting might have caused this. Perhaps I shifted my weight on my foot and injured it somehow (although as I said, it felt fine in the gym).

Any suggestions on getting rid of it?

Plantar fasciitis is a bitch, but a more normal presentation is a gradual onset. This sounds like something more acute. Could be that you strained something.

If it is plantar fasciitis, its causes and cures are not well understood. I cannot say for sure what cured mine after having it for many months, but I suspect changing the shoes that I walked around in helped. I switched from some fancier leather shoes to Brooks running shoes.

If what you have resolves in a few days, then you don't have PF. If it is with you for a few weeks, my condolences. Try some cushier shoes for daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Plantar fasciitis is a bitch, but a more normal presentation is a gradual onset. This sounds like something more acute. Could be that you strained something.
    I think you're right. It seems to be resolving fairly quickly. I do have a real tight calf now from walking on my toes for a few days. Interestingly, while the heel was mildly sore, it didn't affect my ability to do squats today.

If it is plantar fasciitis, its causes and cures are not well understood. I cannot say for sure what cured mine after having it for many months, but I suspect changing the shoes that I walked around in helped. I switched from some fancier leather shoes to Brooks running shoes.

If what you have resolves in a few days, then you don't have PF. If it is with you for a few weeks, my condolences. Try some cushier shoes for daily use.
    I've had it off and on for 2 years.

Yeah mine took months of gradual onset before it reached a point where I had to make changes (now). Besides the common first-steps morning pain or after laying down for a while, for me it is also most painful after training deadlifts. Perhaps because I wear light slipper-like shoes which don't have much arch support. I may try some inserts in them. Meanwhile, I'm no longer going barefoot during the day (I work from home) and got some anti-PF doctor-designed sandals, inserts in my walking shoes, and I'm trying some splints. One is the typical plastic splint, the other is the Strassburg Sock, which is really lightweight.

The Best Plantar Fasciitis Treatment - The Healing Sole Flip Flops
    The Strassburg Sock™ | Heel Pain Relief | Official Manufacturer Website

Wow! A thread from the dead. Just to update you've got better within a few days. I figured out what I was doing wrong because it happened again the next week when I deadlifted. I was keeping my feet pointed to straight ahead instead of angling them out slightly. Just that little bit of angling was enough to prevent causing myself pain and not angling was enough to cause myself excruciating pain.

starting strength coach development program
    That's why I hate posting from the phone I meant to say it got better in a few days.