starting strength gym

Thread: Weight loss for my girlfriend with history of kidney issue

Default Weight loss for my girlfriend with history of kidney issue

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I'd like your opinion on weight loss for my girlfriend (41 year old, 170cm, 80kg) who had a kidney tube blocked by endometriosis, which was surgically repaired this January. Her left kidney function was reduced to 40% (with 60% of total done by the right kidney, from an ideal 50%-50%). She also has high uric acid level so earlier you've recommended a 70-80g maximum protein level for her. She also has early menopause, and has put on 10kg since the surgery (her last period was also in January). She has a history of hypothyroidism, which is currently kept under control with hormone pills (levothyroxine).

She exercises infrequently, 2 times a week at best, and has compliance issues. Squat, press, deadlift/rdl, with moderate weight (I couldn't get her to commit to a proper LP). I've recommended her to do HIIT stationary bike sprints 2/week, but has just started doing this program when we had to abort due to a death in the family and related travel. Next week we're back home and will continue with the weight loss.

Could you please give some nutrition and conditioning advice for such a case, where the high protein recommendation might not be appropriate, and where are other hormonal factors in the play, that might not make her an average trainee?

A few other notes: she's familiar to myfitnesspal, counting macros and calories, and eating relatively healthy for many years now, but has compliance issues, more pronounced in training, and also in diet to some extent. Any way we can improve in these?

Thanks,
    Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the message and sorry to hear about the death in the family. I hope all is going well at this point and everyone is back on board!

To me, the issue sounds pretty straight forward. She needs to train more, both weights and conditioning, and stick to some sort of nutrition plan. It may look something like 80/200/55 with some BCAAs thrown in with meals. I'm not sure how much she weighs or what she's eating now so that may be way off base. Probably not a bad place to start though.

As far as the other hormonal factors in play, this is a pretty complicated case- but I think the best advice is to start training 3x/wk with weights (LP or similar) and HIIT 2x/wk along with following the diet. You can be her lifeline for support!

As far as improving compliance, she needs to be ready to change and thus have the motivation. Perhaps an upcoming trip, reunion, or event of some sort can serve as the carrot on a stick for her- but if she's not ready to change herself, it's not gonna happen.