starting strength gym

Thread: Help With Hip Injury

Default Help With Hip Injury

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi -
    Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Would really appreciate any help or insight with this injury I have inflicted upon myself.

Stats
    Height:6’0
    Weight:200 lb

5RM
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 240
    OHP: 160
    Deadlift: 390

I am doing a 4-day split Texas Method, 2x volume in the beginning of the week, 2x intensity at the end of the week. Have been making steady progress with this setup over the last 12 weeks.

For Squats, I warmed up with 5 x 135, 3 x 175, 3 x 200, 3 x 225, 3 x 250, 2 x 275 and then on-to my work set of 5 x 300.

My first attempt didn’t feel right - hard to describe, but best I can explain is I didn’t feel like I was focused enough to keep everything tight.

Rested and approached the 2nd attempt with more aggression - squeezing my shoulders together more, squatting down with more conviction (possibly too fast?). First rep felt great. On the second rep, coming out of the hole, I felt as if my left leg had popped out of the hip socket and popped back in. There wasn’t any immediate pain, it just felt very, very wrong, so I racked the weight and stopped.

I don’t have any visible bruising or swelling. There is sharp pain coming from the hip flexor when I lift my knee up to my chest or walk at a brisk pace.

Has anyone experienced an injury like this or have any insight into what could have caused it?

Thank you

Been digging around to find the root cause of the injury in case this affects anyone else in a similar way.

Allowing the knees to slide forward at the bottom is most likely the culprit as this transfers the effort from the posterior chain to the quads.

However, since I had never experienced any issues with my hip flexors prior to this injury I did not realize I had this technical deficiency to address. This is a side-effect of training on one's own. I suppose doing a periodic film and check is necessary to avoid something like this in the future.

The weird "dislocation"-like feeling was most likely a pull since there was no visible trauma and for the most part RICE has helped.

Will be starting a rehab protocol asap.

Film yourself and post it in the form check area for some feedback.

What you're describing sounds like knee slide (ask me how I know). Best course of action that has worked for me is to do the ibuprofen protocol and keep squatting with good form. That might mean you need to knock a few pounds off and build back up. Going lighter should make it easier to address. Push your knees OUT and don't dive bomb on the way down.

Thanks Tom, appreciate it.

Good advice, once I've rehabbed through this injury I will post a video and get some feedback.

Rip has talked about how forward knee slide can caused the "damnedest type of tendinitis." Can't find link - maybe in Squat Chapter of SSBBT?