starting strength gym

Thread: 1 serving of bcaa per day, optimal timing?

Default 1 serving of bcaa per day, optimal timing?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan. I work night shift hours, so I train at 6am,after work. Rise about 2pm, and eat my first meal around 6pm or so. I eat plenty throughout the day and night, I'm just unsure if I'd be better served having a serving of xtend in the am,or more around my workout. Appreciate the time taken.

It probably doesn't matter when you take it in this context, but I'd put it directly before or after training if pressed.

Jordan can I piggyback on this question and ask if you think BCAA's before sleep (for a normal schedule) is effective? Eating every 3 hours or so throughout the day and I've gotten in the habit of downing a scoop of Xtend like the OP but I take mine about 30 minutes before bed, and about an hour or so since I last ate. My "logic" being that I'm not going to eat for the next (hopefully) 7-8 hours... thoughts?

No need to do BCAAs before bed.

Related question. Is there anything harmful about taking 2 to 3 scoops total of Xtend BCAA spread over .5 scoops multiple times a day. excluding the harm to my wallet. Basically it tastes good...and helps me down more water and keeps me off of diet soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    No need to do BCAAs before bed.
    Good to know, thanks chief!

I actually haven't bought anything yet. When I had kids I cut out supplements and nothing has changed really. I don't think I'm going to go back down that lane for general fitness. I can eat plenty, which is why I asked if a serving was even worth the cost. Seems like no.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Related question. Is there anything harmful about taking 2 to 3 scoops total of Xtend BCAA spread over .5 scoops multiple times a day. excluding the harm to my wallet. Basically it tastes good...and helps me down more water and keeps me off of diet soda.
    Nothing harmful, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericreichelt81 View Post
    I actually haven't bought anything yet. When I had kids I cut out supplements and nothing has changed really. I don't think I'm going to go back down that lane for general fitness. I can eat plenty, which is why I asked if a serving was even worth the cost. Seems like no.
    I would not expect cutting out 1 serving of BCAAs to affect performance, but perhaps other supplements in their appropriate doses.