starting strength gym

Thread: Whey Protein While Pregnant?

Default Whey Protein While Pregnant?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, this question is really just for my own curiosity so answer (or don't) at your leisure:

My wife and mother of my two boys is about to be serving as a surrogate carrier to a couple we know who is unable to carry. She's getting pretty close to the actual implantation stage and at a recent doctor visit they told her that she should no longer supplement with whey. During her first two pregnancies we led very different lives than we do now, so this never came up and it's the first I'm hearing of it. Even though she doesn't supplement as much as I do, she will typically use it for mornings/meals when I'm not around and she doesn't have time/convenience to cook. She plans on ditching it regardless of the actual "truth" namely because with this being a surrogate pregnancy she wants to be very cautious so as to not have any avoidable complications.

I guess my question is whether or not your experience in the medical field and knowledge of nutrition says if there is any substantiation to this. I spent some time googling it and it all seems rather... alarmist. Just wondering... thanks!

Whey is fine during pregnancy, though I'd want to make sure that she was using a whey that was GMP certified to be sure it was of high quality.

Kind of thought this would be your answer. Like I said she's probably going to avoid it anyway just to be safe but it struck me as odd I guess. Thanks Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by djoksimo View Post
    Kind of thought this would be your answer. Like I said she's probably going to avoid it anyway just to be safe but it struck me as odd I guess. Thanks Jordan.
    Yea that's the thing, I don't think it's unsafe at all and there's no data suggesting it would be bad to take whey, rather the only data exists is in supplementing women whose diets are inadequate and low birth weight is a concern. In that cohort, baby and mom do better with whey. So....yea, whey is fine.