starting strength gym

Thread: Developing A Morning Appetite...

Default Developing A Morning Appetite...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

Appreciate all your investment here and over at Barbell Medicine to keep us on the GainzZz straight and narrow!

In trying to keep with my daily macros, I find it optimal (for me) if I can eat 5 times per day. It would make this much easier with meal spacing if I were hungry when I first wake up in the a.m. However, it normally takes me a solid 3-4 hrs before I develop any type of appetite. I've tried forcing myself to eat, but I usually can't get much down as it makes me feel slightly nauseated when I do. Just wondering if there were anything I could do to alter this? I do have the habit of eating within 1-2 hrs of going to bed at night and don't know if this effects my morning appetite? Thoughts / suggestions?

Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 220
    Program: The Bridge
    Level: Intermediate

No current illnesses or health problems.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Why don't you have a whey protein shake first thing in the AM. That's what I'd have you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Why don't you have a whey protein shake first thing in the AM. That's what I'd have you do.
    So this leads to something I've been thinking about. Most days I usually have an hour or so between waking and my first meal. Would be better if I had a shake right away and then an hour later have my breakfast? Or would meal timing be an issue here, like if I had a shake right away, should wait 3 hours before eating? I suppose the other option is I can try to have breakfast right away.

Quote Originally Posted by DsubZ View Post
    So this leads to something I've been thinking about. Most days I usually have an hour or so between waking and my first meal. Would be better if I had a shake right away and then an hour later have my breakfast? Or would meal timing be an issue here, like if I had a shake right away, should wait 3 hours before eating? I suppose the other option is I can try to have breakfast right away.
    I wouldn't eat, then eat again within 1 hour- rather I'd eat then eat again 3-5 hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I mostly do powders, but if someone has palatability issues, and has morning caffeine needs like I do, Monster makes a "Muscle Monster" that I find tasty, and makes for an excellent "first thing in the AM" choice. Unfortunately some of the whey usually ends up stuck to the bottom, but a little warm water swished in the otherwise emptied container solves that.

On the other hand, I suspect 4 years eating Army food a while ago severely skewed my idea of what's "tasty" compared to the normal population, so YMMV.