starting strength gym

Thread: Why is this recipe for a protein shake making me feel like pooh.

Default Why is this recipe for a protein shake making me feel like pooh.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Currently eating 5000 calories a day, 250-300g of protein. my breakfast is usually the following protein shake recipe.

75g of isopure whey protein(unflavored)
    5g creatine
    1 whole banana
    3-4 large frozen strawberries
    approx. 6 "true" tbsp of generic peanut butter
    2 cups of whole milk
    and chocolate syrup for flavor
    this comes out to approx. 1300 calories and 100 g of protein.

I started using this recipe in May(started at 3000 or so calories and worked up to 5k)and really enjoyed it, but lately it just makes me feel sick. queeziness, lethargic, and just a general feeling of "bleh". I drink it immediately after training on training days and first thing in the morning on off days. Why has this started making me feel like crap.

It's too many calories for a single meal for you at this point and your math is way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It's too many calories for a single meal for you at this point and your math is way off.
    Well, I'm eating 3 meals a day all roughly the same size. But they don't make me feel bad like the shake does. Also, I didn't mention in the original post but my bowel movements get kinda uncomfortable after the shake as well.
    Should I just try splitting the shake into 2-3 servings?
    Thinking as I'm going here
    Here's the calorie breakdown for the shake:
    1 banana -105 cal
    4 med strawberries - 16 cal
    2 cups whole milk( originally thought it was 1 so this will bump the Cals up some) - 292 cal
    Hershey's syrup 3 tbsp - 330 cal
    Peanut butter 6 tbsp - 570 cal
    75g whey protein - 330 cal
    This totals to 1646 cal.
    So I'm about 350 cal more than I thought. Is that considered way off? Yeh I guess that's pretty bad. But the point still stands that I eat a lot more than that at different times of the day. So what gives?

In an effort to reduce calories, try maybe 3 Tbsp of peanut butter instead and maybe 50 g of protein? How much do you weigh now?

Quote Originally Posted by dtarrence View Post
    Well, I'm eating 3 meals a day all roughly the same size. But they don't make me feel bad like the shake does. Also, I didn't mention in the original post but my bowel movements get kinda uncomfortable after the shake as well.
    Should I just try splitting the shake into 2-3 servings?
    Thinking as I'm going here
    Here's the calorie breakdown for the shake:
    1 banana -105 cal
    4 med strawberries - 16 cal
    2 cups whole milk( originally thought it was 1 so this will bump the Cals up some) - 292 cal
    Hershey's syrup 3 tbsp - 330 cal
    Peanut butter 6 tbsp - 570 cal
    75g whey protein - 330 cal
    This totals to 1646 cal.
    So I'm about 350 cal more than I thought. Is that considered way off? Yeh I guess that's pretty bad. But the point still stands that I eat a lot more than that at different times of the day. So what gives?
    Yes, 350 cal is way off. This is also a ton of fat in a single meal, which could explain your symptoms. You probably also take this down faster than a meal based around whole foods. I would cut your PB and whey intake in half here.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    In an effort to reduce calories, try maybe 3 Tbsp of peanut butter instead and maybe 50 g of protein? How much do you weigh now?
    Good advice.

Also, maybe consider drinking this shake later in the day so the lethargy puts you to sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    305lb at 30% bf. Jordan already told me in a barbell medicine Q/A last week that I'm too fat. Well, I have my reasons for trying to gain weight instead of lose it at the moment, but I realize this is too fat and wouldn't tell anyone else to get as big as me. After christmas I'll be doing the bridge with the conditioning as well as a caloric deficit.

Yes, 350 cal is way off. This is also a ton of fat in a single meal, which could explain your symptoms. You probably also take this down faster than a meal based around whole foods. I would cut your PB and whey intake in half here.
    I've tried breaking the shake into 2 halves eaten about an hour apart for the past couple of days. I haven't noticed any symptoms. Should i keep going as is, or do you think I would still benefit from cutting the recipe down some as suggested?

starting strength coach development program
    I've tried breaking the shake into 2 halves eaten about an hour apart for the past couple of days. I haven't noticed any symptoms. Should i keep going as is, or do you think I would still benefit from cutting the recipe down some as suggested?
    I don't think you need that much protein in a given meal so I'd prob cut that down.