starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick weight gain question

Default Quick weight gain question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,
    Would you rather see someone who's trying to gain weight increase their calories through fat or carbs?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Hey Jordan,
    Would you rather see someone who's trying to gain weight increase their calories through fat or carbs?

Thanks!
    Both, typically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Both, typically.
    Oh... I sense nuance. Would the increase be even for both or one more over the other?

This is one of those situations where you really just have to see what you can stick with. What you are able to comply with may not be what is biochemically the most effective; however, if you are willing to do a less efficient option but not willing to do the most effective. . .well. . . do what you will comply with. Both fats and carbs are fuel sources and neither should be demonized since clearly humans are metabolically capable of utilizing both (aren't we fancy little machines?). If you need to gain a lot of weight, increasing carbs will likely result in a very large volume of food to consume on a daily basis. Some people can handle 3 or more cups of pasta in a meal. . .others get nausea just thinking about this. In this case, fats are great since they are a calorie dense source. It is helpful if you use foods that are easy to adjust. A cup of pasta going to 2 cups of pasta. A tablespoon of oil going to two tablespoons. I eat almost identically when I am losing, gaining, or staying the same weight. I just adjust meal frequency and portion sizes. Seems to work amazingly well.

Oh... I sense nuance. Would the increase be even for both or one more over the other?
    I don't think they should be added in the same in the same amount of calories or percentages, but I typically prefer carbs over added fats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    This is one of those situations where you really just have to see what you can stick with. What you are able to comply with may not be what is biochemically the most effective; however, if you are willing to do a less efficient option but not willing to do the most effective. . .well. . . do what you will comply with. Both fats and carbs are fuel sources and neither should be demonized since clearly humans are metabolically capable of utilizing both (aren't we fancy little machines?). If you need to gain a lot of weight, increasing carbs will likely result in a very large volume of food to consume on a daily basis. Some people can handle 3 or more cups of pasta in a meal. . .others get nausea just thinking about this. In this case, fats are great since they are a calorie dense source. It is helpful if you use foods that are easy to adjust. A cup of pasta going to 2 cups of pasta. A tablespoon of oil going to two tablespoons. I eat almost identically when I am losing, gaining, or staying the same weight. I just adjust meal frequency and portion sizes. Seems to work amazingly well.

Eh, I don't really like this line of thinking to be honest. Everything worth doing takes some amount of will power and there are better and worse ways to do things. We should eliminate as many obstacles as possible and only compromise when outcomes are not significantly worse.

I don't think they should be added in the same in the same amount of calories or percentages, but I typically prefer carbs over added fats.
    Gotcha. Any particular reason why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I agree with this in terms of having easily adjustable meal staples and foods that taste good. You're not going to stick to a meal plan with foods you don't like/are overcooked/ etc, especially a weight gain plan.

Gotcha. Any particular reason why?
    Many, which have been extolled numerous times on this board before. Not trying to be snarky, but I have long stated that I don't like higher fat diets (by any metric used to classify them) for most people.

I agree with this in terms of having easily adjustable meal staples and foods that taste good. You're not going to stick to a meal plan with foods you don't like/are overcooked/ etc, especially a weight gain plan.
    I disagree with this as well. Taste as a subjective preference changes readily to new inputs and external incentives , among other things. I would not change a person's diet recommendations to a "worse" solely based on this.

Many, which have been extolled numerous times on this board before. Not trying to be snarky, but I have long stated that I don't like higher fat diets (by any metric used to classify them) for most people.
    Off the top of my head:
    Carbs are better for strength training and fuel recovery better
    Carbs are easier to manipulate (titrate) down or up as needed*
    Higher carb diets are typically easier to comply with
    High Fat diets are easier to overeat on due to "user error" and the person's inability to measure fats accurately

*Fiber goals matter, target 35g minimum

Many, which have been extolled numerous times on this board before.
    I should have figured. My apologies.

I disagree with this as well. Taste as a subjective preference changes readily to new inputs and external incentives , among other things. I would not change a person's diet recommendations to a "worse" solely based on this.
    Oh no no, I didn't mean to suggest that taste should have a preference over effectiveness. I meant it in the way of making that a goal as often as possible in the confines of effectiveness. If both steak and chicken have the potential to bring you to your same nutritional goals for a particular meal, but you like steak more than chicken... or you hate chicken for some reason.. then using steak makes sense.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 10-28-2017 at 09:06 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    I suppose. I just wouldn't really use that in many situations, given the difference in macros and calories of steak vs. chicken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast