starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovery for a hard-headed boyfriend

Default Recovery for a hard-headed boyfriend

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My boyfriend does CrossFit and he's super competitive. Before, he goes to the gym ever day and does one workout after strength and skills. Now, he does double workouts in a day, sometimes three workouts. And during his supposedly "recovery" day, he makes it an active rest day. He still goes to the gym and does something 'light.' He's strong but he's mental game is totally off. He used to lift heavy weights but he just can't commit again to lift them. Now, he's beating himself up train every single day. Is it still helpful to do that or he is already punishing his body?

I would suggest that you get him to purchase a copy of SSBBT, read through it and begin training intelligently like everybody else on this board. You can get big, strong and more useful in general training 3 days a week which would allow him more time to enjoy other pleasures in life rather than just training all the time.

Reading The Booktm isn't going to fix this.

If the guy is making headway at the very highest levels of the Crossfit Leagues (whatever) . . . then so be it.

But I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that's not the case.

So he has serious 'problems', and its not going to be receptive to The Booktm.

Crossfit is not training, it is exercise. It is also self-imposed torture, the kind that leaves you maimed and with PTSD.
    I jest. If he's after the "pump" or the "burn", he's gonna keep doing whatever he's doing and, from my experience, you can't convince a crossfitter to stop doing Crossfit.
    However, if he is looking to get stronger, you can try to explain to him the difference of training and exercise by using this article:

The Biggest Training Fallacy of All

If you can't, keep at it. Eventually he'll see that the weight on the bar has not moved in months and be more malleable then.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Crossfit is not training, it is exercise. It is also self-imposed torture, the kind that leaves you maimed and with PTSD.
    I jest. If he's after the "pump" or the "burn", he's gonna keep doing whatever he's doing and, from my experience, you can't convince a crossfitter to stop doing Crossfit.
    However, if he is looking to get stronger, you can try to explain to him the difference of training and exercise by using this article:

The Biggest Training Fallacy of All

If you can't, keep at it. Eventually he'll see that the weight on the bar has not moved in months and be more malleable then.

Best of luck.
    Sure you can.

I had a buddy that was exactly like the person the OP describes. One day, he was beating the crap out of himself, and his heart stopped. Period. I forget the medical term, but basically his heart just up and stopped. His wife is an MD, and happened to be in the gym when it happened. If she hadn't been there, thumping on his chest and breathing for him, he'd have surely died right there. He has a pacemaker now (in his late 40's/early 50's), and no longer cross fits. Apparently his almost dying convinced him to not do cross fit anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Sure you can.

I had a buddy that was exactly like the person the OP describes. One day, he was beating the crap out of himself, and his heart stopped. Period. I forget the medical term, but basically his heart just up and stopped. His wife is an MD, and happened to be in the gym when it happened. If she hadn't been there, thumping on his chest and breathing for him, he'd have surely died right there. He has a pacemaker now (in his late 40's/early 50's), and no longer cross fits. Apparently his almost dying convinced him to not do cross fit anymore.
    He probably had a pre-existing heart condition. If so, Crossfit didn't cause this.

People have had "heart problems" problems at my gym as well doing to leg press,
    EMTs, defibuator, the nine yards.
    it didn't cause it (his condition).

1 in a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    the kind that leaves you maimed and with PTSD. I jest.
    we take that very seriously around here.

I would go back and edit that out if I were you

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    He probably had a pre-existing heart condition. If so, Crossfit didn't cause this.

People have had "heart problems" problems at my gym as well doing to leg press,
    EMTs, defibuator, the nine yards.
    it didn't cause it (his condition).

1 in a million.
    Nope, no history of a heart condition at all. A very fit guy (the typical short lean wiry build of people from that community), which isn't the norm for guys in the big Navy or many retirees.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    we take that very seriously around here.

I would go back and edit that out if I were you
    Very difficult that, esp since its been quoted, maybe a ban would do it?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    Very difficult that, esp since its been quoted, maybe a ban would do it?
    touché

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast