starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder pain/restricted movement

Default Shoulder pain/restricted movement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know the first thing I'll probably be told is to go to a doctor/chiro etc, but wanted to just get some opinions out there and more so see if anyone else has the same thing.

For quite a while now I've felt pain/restricted motion mostly in my left shoulder, most noticeable when I'm benching and pushing the bar up.

It doesn't exactly feel like pain, more like tightness with some underlying pain but my motion does feel restricted, however I can still manage to push through it.

I was on the rear delt machine the other day and was somewhat concerned to see that the peak of my inability to move my arm was when I was set up about to do a rep, and that initial movement of my left arm to rotate outwards was extremely extremely difficult. And no it wasn't that the weight was too heavy

I low bar squat if that matters - I'm sure that's adding to it to some considerable degree.

Shoulders are goofy things. Is there a locus for the pain? How does adjusting your grip and/or elbow flare impact it on the bench? Do you have the problem when you overhead press? Anything else bother it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Shoulders are goofy things. Is there a locus for the pain? How does adjusting your grip and/or elbow flare impact it on the bench? Do you have the problem when you overhead press? Anything else bother it?
    My best guess would be that it's just below my collar bone, around 45 degrees out in the direction of midway above your shoulder.

I've tried playing around with grip width on the bench and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

When it comes to pressing however, I practically have zero pain/tightness.

The only other thing I noticed is say you're lying on your bed and your nightstand is on your side, and you reach over across yourself with your left arm to grab something from your night stand. That movement sometimes causes a bit of pain and tightness.

What happens as you flare and tuck your elbows when you bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    What happens as you flare and tuck your elbows when you bench?
    Not a whole lot of difference. I noticed as well when the bar is coming down just before it touches my chest, I hear/feel a small click in my left shoulder. It doesn't hurt as it clicks, I just hear it.

starting strength coach development program
    Sounds like something is where it shouldn't be. I would try easing off the benches for awhile and do more overheads for a few weeks. Ease back into benches and see what happens. It might clear up.