starting strength gym

Thread: Knee pain

Default Knee pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have had knee surgery in the past and now after leg days ( squats, dead lift, leg press, extensions among other lifts and movements) my knees hurt and swell badly for several days. I wear knee sleeves, and have tried about every thing over the counter with no real results. I'm using Lubrisyn now and it has helped some but no where near good. Im trying to avoid injections.Anyone have suggestions that has helped them?

I would consider dropping the machine based work from your program (leg press and extension) at least until you get the pain under control. With those movements your are locked into a plane of movement that may not be ideal for your individual anthropometry.
    You should also post some video form checks to make sure your barbell lifts arn't causing the issue.

Could you clarify where on your knee it hurts and how the pain progresses before, during, and after exercise. Some information on age, weight and injury history would also be helpful here.

I'm 41 I weigh 175lb I've had ACL replacement about 10 years ago. Both knees hurt and pop continuously after workouts for several days. Even running on the elliptical seems to make them sore so I bought a road bike to help relieve some of the pain from cardio. They don't usually hurt until the last set or two of squats and they only ache then. The pain is in the back of the knees and under the knee cap. Swelling is usually just behind the knees.

Post a form check. And heed A Schenk's suggestion.

Okay thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Gaining some weight(improves recovery/residual aches and pains), improving technique, and getting stronger goes a long way with these things. Your knees may never feel "great" again but if you keep at it you can minimize the damage. Agree with posting form checks or better yet an in person coaching session or two