starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Pin Firing" Chin Up Protocol for Golfer's Elbow - Looking For Anecdotal Evidence

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post

I just took it on faith and pushed through the pain. First set of chins was the worst but it would always feel relatively better after my last set of chins.
    It was slow progress at first but it did get slightly better over time so I kept it up.

Often times pain means STOP! but sometimes pain is misleading. Tendon pain may be like that.

Where is the pain coming from in tendinopathy? It may be biochemical, not only structural, in origin | British Journal of Sports Medicine
    Interesting article on inconsistency of pain in contrast the observable structural damage. Makes me think of an article I had read (can't find it at the moment) by Austin Baraki a while back regarding how pain doesn't always correlate with injury and that it could be something else. Essentially that pain is a two way street from the brain to the site.

As for me and the morning after, the pain is definitely worse than before training - back to feeling it during everyday activities. Not the end of the world.

Will just keep moving forward and see where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BTImpaler View Post

Will just keep moving forward and see where this goes.
    By all means, try the protocol. However, the extreme of completely ignoring the pain is just as stupid as not doing anything that causes the slightest discomfort. Try the protocol, monitor the pain levels you have before, during, and after training. If things get worse continually for 2 weeks with no improvement, then I would look for a different approach. Don't just turn your brain off and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    By all means, try the protocol. However, the extreme of completely ignoring the pain is just as stupid as not doing anything that causes the slightest discomfort. Try the protocol, monitor the pain levels you have before, during, and after training. If things get worse continually for 2 weeks with no improvement, then I would look for a different approach. Don't just turn your brain off and hope for the best.
    I agree - but you don't know if you don't try! I'm donating my body to science.

An update on the progress.

So, last Thursday was the first training session. That Friday morning pain was back again. By that afternoon, the pain subsided to where it was pre-training on Thursday.

I trained again Saturday (no Chin-up protocol) - just Squats, Press, and Deads adding 10lbs to the squat and dead on top sets. Squats were irritating (as they were the last time) and press was a bit tough on early sets. Sunday felt as it's been since before starting training again. It's there, but not interfering too much.

Trained last night with the chin-up protocol to close it out. Again raised 10lbs on all lifts. Squats again caused some aggravation. On my last couple of sets I changed the grip up. I actually brought my hands in much more narrow than in the past and wrapped my thumb around the bar (I had previously done false grip). The tighter shelf felt good (and I think more necessary than when I was 40lbs heavier) and the thumbs around felt like less pressure on my elbow. Maybe it was because it was a later set, but I felt like it lessened the pain. Bench was fine - some mild pain. Deads I only feel it seconds after I release the bar - fine throughout. I upped my sets on the chins to 14 sets of 3 reps. Early sets irritated but the later ones were no worse - maybe even slightly better towards the end.

Today, the day after was similar to last time. More pain in the AM but lessening throughout the day. I won't say it's getting better (yet), but it's not getting worse (yet) and certainly nowhere near as bad a couple of months ago. But I can say 100% that I'm feeling better mentally to be training again.

To muddy the measured efficacy of the protocol, I'm also doing finger-extensor exercises at least every other day and am Voodoo flossing (which I think is nothing more than actual voodoo) wrapping my arm and stretching out my forearm and wrist every other day or so.

Taking today and tomorrow off and will hit it again on Thursday with the chin-ups again.

It seems to me that it's the squats that are irritating your elbows. I had a similar problem, and the only solution was using a thumbs around grip on the squat, which did wonders for me. I suggest you try it out. You WILL need a wrist wrap though. A strong one. I suggest these:

Amazon.com : Inzer Iron Z Wrist Wraps (Pair) - Powerlifting Weightlifting CrossFit Strength Training (20" - Medium) : Exercise Wraps : Sports & Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by BTImpaler View Post
    If you watch either video with Rip, you'll see that pushing past the pain is exactly his recommendation....which sounds insane and why I started the thread in the first place. What you're saying is what I've always believed.

I also pushed through the pain, until the pain became so great I couldn't do everyday tasks. It hurt to twist the theraband and do the hammer exercise, but gradually things have improved to the point that I can do every lift pain free. I haven't tried to do any chins as yet and have stuck to Lat pulls which do occasionally give me a recurrence of the previous agony.

There is a fine line between tolerance and foolishness which everyone has to draw for themselves. If things worsen, then maybe it's time to find alternatives that don't aggravate the condition, if things improve all well and good.

I did the pin firing protocol with high set chin ups, (from 25 sets of 2 up to 30 sets of 4) and it made my golfer's elbow heal. However after stopping the protocol and going back to wide grip pull ups, the pain came back. What worked for me was to permanently stop wide grip pull ups, and switch to a normal shoulder width grip. I'm guessing the cause was the wider grip on a straight pull up bar was putting too much stress on the elbow tendon responsible for golfer's elbow. The pain also flares up on wide grip bench presses, and gets better or nonexistent with normal or close grip bench press.

The issue is nonexistent for overhead press.

As for squats, the issue is nonexistent as long as you have the bar in the right place on your back and you have a correct grip and elbow position.

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    As for squats, the issue is nonexistent as long as you have the bar in the right place on your back and you have a correct grip and elbow position.
    This is a bit much? Tons of people struggle with this. Obvious, it is super simple for everyone who has figured it out already, and a complete mystery to those that haven't. Took me years to figure out grip/elbow/wrist position that didn't cause problems.

This is a bit much? Tons of people struggle with this. Obvious, it is super simple for everyone who has figured it out already, and a complete mystery to those that haven't. Took me years to figure out grip/elbow/wrist position that didn't cause problems.
    The correct position for the hands and elbow is perfectly laid out in SSBBT3...

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron8 View Post
    The correct position for the hands and elbow is perfectly laid out in SSBBT3...
    Strongly disagree. I find that position the most effective way to give myself elbow tennis elbow.

starting strength coach development program
    Strongly disagree
    It works out perfectly for me and plenty of other folks at my gym, so I'd stick with Rip's wisdom. But you do you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast