starting strength gym

Thread: Over weight middle aged advice

Default Over weight middle aged advice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, this is a re-framing of the same question asked repeatedly here, but if you will forgive me, I will ask again.
    I am 6'3" 260 at 44 years of age. Do not look terribly obese in clothing, but waist is at 46 inches, fortunate to have broad shoulders! I will be restarting NLP after a 3 month layoff. Tend to get my squat to 350ish x 5 x 3 and stop.
    Question is...what is a good macro and calorie target to train and lose the dad bod? Also, is there a bodyweight to shoot for? Have said before, I don't mind if I weigh 300lbs, just don't want the love handles!
    Thank you for your patience in entertaining my question!

Do you want to get stronger or lose weight? This is not a weight loss board. If you are coming off of a layoff you should be able to drop inches without losing appreciable amounts of bodyweight. 260 is not incredibly heavy for a 6'3" trained lifter. You were untrained so you got some belly fat. Start with 225p/350c/100f and see what that does for you. My guess is recomposition will take care of most of this. You mentioned your squat, now what about the deadlift, press, chins, and bench press?

Thank you for your response Robert! I want to get stronger and lose some of the spare tire. Prefer to be heavier honestly. Speculating my jump in to NLP this round will most likely be 250 squat, 325 deadlift, 225 bench and 135 press for 5s. I will aim for these macros...just wanted to get an idea of intake....a lot of bullshit on the calorie/macro calculators... thanks again!

Spare tire will look less spare with more weight on the bar. Leverage that bodyweight and if you accidentally lose a few lb while adding weight to the bar that's not a bad thing. Just don't "go on a cut" you are in a good place to get strong.