starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Pin Firing" Chin Up Protocol for Golfer's Elbow - Looking For Anecdotal Evidence

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Update from original poster:

I'm 7 weeks out from concluding the chin-up protocol. Pain is almost totally gone and doesn't interfere with my training. The only time I actually feel it are if I'm carrying a 45 pound plate in that hand when loading a bar - it's that pinching action of the hand.

I've stuck with the thumbs-around grip and purchased the wrist-wraps as recommended, and I'm not looking back. Everything feels better that way with my squat as I can bring my hands in tighter than I used to with the thumbless grip.

My lifts have all steadily increased. As a reminder, when I started the protocol I dropped all my lifts down to super light weights because at that point the golfer's elbow was so debilitating - the top sets of the first session were:

6/21
    squat - 3x5 @185 (no belt)
    bench -3x5 @185 (next session was military at 3x5 @95)
    dead - 1x5 @275 (no belt)
    chins - 10x3

As of this evening I did the following:

8/31
    squat - 3x5 @320 - (with belt and wrist wraps)
    military - 3x5@135 (last session was bench at 3x8 @210)
    dead - 1x5 @385 - (with belt)

I made this progress with a week-long layoff (work trip) in late July as well. And I feel like I've got room to keep linearly progressing session to session for maybe a couple of more weeks before switching to week-to-week progression.

For me, I feel like what helped me recover were:

- using a thumbs-around grip and wrist wraps
    - backing off other lifts to focus energy into the chin-up protocol
    - patience that my strength will return if I can get healthy
    - the chin-up protocol itself

Good luck to those who are still fighting it off.

Thanks for the update. Grist for our mill.

Wanted to report results of my three week protocol:
    Day 1: 25 sets X 2 reps - 1 Minute Rest
    Day 6: 25 sets X 3 reps - 1 Minute Rest
    Day 11: 25 X 4 reps - 1 Minute Rest
    Day 18 (Christmas Eve/Day pushed me): 25x5 Reps - 90 sec Rest
    Day 23: 5X6, 20X5 reps - 90 sec rest

From all I can tell my right elbow Medial epicondylitis is gone, and my left elbow is only sensitive to a forceful touch. I can do movements pain free now. The most painful movement was picking up my 4 and 2 year old daughters. Great recovery tool.

I plan on enacting this protocol every 3-4 months on top of my already programmed Chins. Has anyone done this with sustained results? Fortunately I really love chins.

Hi Guys...
    Thanks god discovered this protocol, from windurfing and lifting ive been dealing with medial and lateral epicondilitis for over 5 years with everything you can imagine, and discovered SS a few weeks ago.
    Would like to post how have been my approach to the pin firing and if you could assist if should keep rising the volume, i am still not pain free, however feel improvement, like as if the lateral pain is going forward to the forearm, the point on the elbow is not sore anymore...
    DAY 1 - 20*3 = 60
    DAY 5 - 5*5+15*3=70
    DAY 10 - 30*3 = 90
    DAY 15 = 10*5+20*3=110
    DAY 20 = 10*5+10*4+10*3 = 120
    DAY 25 = 10*5+20*4 = 130

Should i keep going? Any recomended changes?
    Cheers

starting strength coach development program
    Starting having left Golfers Elbow last week.
    Didn’t notice it much since I was stoked at benching body weight for work sets. The local SS gym pointed me to the chins solution here and youtube. I only managed 10 sets of 2 because of weakness not pain. A day later bench hurt so much I had to drop 10 lbs just to get the fives. Rip would probably say Suck it up. I tried using a green band 50-120lbs (body weight 157) and use the same supinated grip. Made it tolerable as for completing the reps with 8-9 RPE. Pain level same as chin ups. Don’t know if it’s going to help

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456