starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Training with cervical disc herniation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For sure. How do i do that in the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    For sure. How do i do that in the forum?
    Tim - I just want to say, this whole thread has been extremely inspiring.

You are worried you have permanent damage, and i understand how difficult it can be to stay positive in a situation like this, but just remember how far you've come... after have a disc replacement! You have added 15# in 8 weeks.. well it's slower than you'd like, but you're making progress! As long as you continue to make progress, regardless of how slow it is, then there is clearly nothing that is permanently holding you back. Think of it from the bigger picture... You will be strength training for YEARS... it's only been a couple months. Maybe your progress won't return you to pre-injury PRs as quickly as some other testimonials you saw.. no two people are the same and no two injuries are the same, but the fact remains that you had a surgery on your spine and you are fighting hard for every inch, making consistent progress toward recovery. a year from now you'll be sitting looking back on all this with a sense of pride at how far you've come. You're doing exactly what you need to be doing, and it's working! It just takes a while, but that's an exercise in discipline and mental fortitude and it will make you a stronger person both physically and mentally.

Just keep at it. You're doing great. Sure, maybe there are better rep schemes you could be doing, or this, or that, but at the end of the day you're doing what you have to do.

Also, you know you're not going to get advice to do any extra volume iso work for the triceps here.. but if you want to do it and think it might help, then just do it. It can't hurt, can it?

15 pounds in 8 weeks may be discouragingly slow, but if you do the math, and realize what that ads up to over time, you'll realize you're on the road to more than full recovery.

Appreciate the encouragement Jeff!

I know it will come, its just painful watching how glacially slow it is coming back.
    I have always been a "hard gainer" - eating, sleeping well, and fighting hard for every pound. I know there are a lot of guys in here benching in the 300s, even 400s. That's not me.

For me, the first time I locked out 205 for singles was amazing - it took me well over a year of proper training (I was for sure "doing the program"), and I never thought I could do it.

Abrupt loss of strength that was a hard journey to acquire is a real kick in the nuts, but as you said, I'm building it back slowly but surely. Just trying to sort out the most efficient set/rep scheme to get the nerve firing the right way. I'm not sure there's a right answer

starting strength coach development program
    It’s starting to “click” finally.

I’ve been doing a HLM template for deadlifts and squats and LP for pressing movements. I added a 4th slot on weekends so i can train each upper body lift twice per week. Been doing 8 doubles with 2 min rest, and adding 2.5# per session.

This week finally got a big plate on the bar for bench - haven’t had that since August.
    Currently: BP 135x2x8, OHP 115x2x8.
    Video shows right arm with better speed and locking out more symmetrically.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345