starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restarting point

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You are very welcome! I'd try 80 kg not he squat, 70 kg on the bench press, 110 kg on the deadlift, and 45 kg on the press. Ramp the deadlift up quickly this time. No reason to be squatting that close to it at your stage.
    Made my 3rd workout of the week today!

Managed Monday, Wednesday but missed Friday (but here now on Saturday).

Currently am doing deadlift on each workout as don’t really want to do power cleans - got a fair few old injuries etc - could you advise what to do when DL gets too heavy to do every workout?

Diet is pretty good - going over on fats on a few days though, easy to over eat it seems! Getting between 2400-2800 a day.

Sounds good. Keep on it. I'd suggest deadlifting lighter (~60% of your heavy day) if you can't clean. Gives you more practice with the motor pattern

Sounds good. Keep on it. I'd suggest deadlifting lighter (~60% of your heavy day) if you can't clean. Gives you more practice with the motor pattern
    Which day is heavy day?

I’ve gone back to LP just trying to add weight every single workout - currently using the SS app on my phone.

Also two enquiries.

1) do I need to do any assistance stuff? Currently doing 0 - I’m too fat to do chin ups

2) do on earth do you eat when on moderately low carbs to get 40g of fibre?

When you can no longer LP the deadlift every workout you can just alternate between your heavy 1 x 5 and maybe 2 sets with a lighter weight instead of doing cleans on that B workout.

1) Lat Pulldowns with a shoulder width underhand grip - 4 x 10 every workout or every other workout
    2) Stop eating low carb

When you can no longer LP the deadlift every workout you can just alternate between your heavy 1 x 5 and maybe 2 sets with a lighter weight instead of doing cleans on that B workout.

1) Lat Pulldowns with a shoulder width underhand grip - 4 x 10 every workout or every other workout
    2) Stop eating low carb
    Is 250g considered low carb or not?

I'm mainly shooting or the macros you advised!

If not what is considered low carb?

As strength progresses should I aim to add carbs in or hold where I'm at?

250 g is a good starting point and I would not consider it low by any means. As the lifts get harder you will need to eat north of 300 g carbohydrates. How much will depend on the person.

250 g is a good starting point and I would not consider it low by any means. As the lifts get harder you will need to eat north of 300 g carbohydrates. How much will depend on the person.
    Thanks for your help Robert,

I hope you don’t mint me coming back here regularly as I go.

I’m hitting protein requirements daily and have managed to cut my fat right down and getting around the 70g advised.

I’m mostly sticking to diet however have something like one meal over etc (got engaged this week so went for dinner).

My clothes are getting looser, had to make additional notches in my belt although my scale weight seems to remain the same...

Any advise on this?

I’m currently up to:
    3x5 - 115kg squat
    3x5 - 77.5 bench
    3x5 - 57.5 OHP
    1x5 - 140 dead

Things are just starting to get a little heavier but everything feels good so far. My right elbow that’s had issues before is not causing big issues at this weight so far.
    Have also dropped DL down to 2x per week.

Very nice. Thanks for the update. You are doing a fine job here Lloyd

Sorry for late update coach, I’ve had the last two weeks off due to a bad cold and being under the weather.

I’ve managed to get back into the gym this week and make my second session of the week tonight.

Tonight I completed:
    Squat - 3x5 - 140kg / 308lb
    OHP - 3x5 - 60kg / 132lb
    Dead - 1x5 - 160kg / 352lb

Monday I did a lesser squat and dead but benched 85kg / 187lb for 3x5.

This last week I have upped my carbs a little to 300g - protein steady around 200g and fats around 70g ... consistency was a bit off over recent 2 weeks as full of cold, some days not eating enough or off macros, however weight has held pretty much stable. The two training sessions this week felt good for squats etc, OHP started feeling a little heavy.

Any advice on moving forward?
    I’m still about 50lb too heavy really and nowhere near strong enough for my weight.

Thanks for your guidance

Lloyd

starting strength coach development program
    It sounds like you are doing what you need to to progress at this point. If you need tailored programming or diet coaching, shoot me an email and we can go from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12