starting strength gym

Thread: Getting screws out of my ankle.

Default Getting screws out of my ankle.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6 on my fibula and one on the medial malleolus.

Doc said it would be 3-4 weeks before any heavy lifting again.

But she said I can walk right after the surgery, it would just be sore.

Think she is being overly conservative with the wait time? Do i really risk a fracture from heavy lifting?

All i can think to do is to press and bench for the next 3 weeks....

Hey Ed! Brian J here. This is an excerpt from a post I wrote to the forum nearly 7 years ago - my very first post:

"My body has responded incredibly to the Squat, Deadlift, Bench etc . .but I can tell it is the Squat that is really pulling it together . . there are times that I can not even tell I was injured. My area of concern is this: I was a “farm strong” guy before the accident . .genetics and hay bales gave me a good foundation. I can tell that with the proper technique, diet and training that I will be able to lift a good amount of weight some day. I am concerned about the trade off between what my muscle can handle vs possible reinjuring or hurting my legs where the breaks were. Have you ever encountered someone with this concern, type of injury, seen them rehab.. etc . . . so much of this is getting your head right - -and this is sticking in my mind. What can I expect? Will the bones give out before the muscles . . a lot of stuff on my mind that the doctors arer about as useful as tits on a boar hog when it comes to answering. Both the doctors and the Physical therapists can’t tell me anything as they say I am an anomaly - -that I have far surpassed what they thought possible. That is why I am coming to you. I sent Mr. Rippetoe an email asking these things but then I thought that many in the forum may have experience with this or could offer some sage advice. I appreciate all of your time and any assistance you can provide. I can not tell you how amazing the results have been thus far just in doing the basic compunds: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Press, Row. It is a damn near miracle the difference between where I am now . .and where I was less than a year ago."

Keep in mind that I am not a doctor nor am I offering any kind of medical advice, suggestions etc. What I am doing you is letting you see what my experience with pilon fractures of both legs. I had the same concerns. I could have listened to my doctors "recommendations". I also believe that had I listened to them - I would be crippled today. I would still have the major hardware in both legs today. I didn't and I don't.

Rather than rehashing it all in an ineffective way (I tend to really go on when I discuss it - life changing) I'll leave you with this article written by Karl S. It gives you a good overall picture of my situation. You may be able to find some use with it Barbell Training as Rehab | Karl Schudt

If still interested there is a video also of a talk I gave at a SSC conference. And of course I am available to answer any questions, discuss any concerns you may have. For me - one thing that I found - is that rather than a negative - the early days, weeks and months of recovery were awesome for rebuilding and strengthening the bone. Your body is in such a state of wanting to reheal and rejuvenate anyways that by adding the stimulation of effective and intelligent training (ala Starting Strength program) it responded and responded well. Best of luck, hope this helps, never hesitate to holler at me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Hey Ed! Brian J here. This is an excerpt from a post I wrote to the forum nearly 7 years ago - my very first post:

"My body has responded incredibly to the Squat, Deadlift, Bench etc . .but I can tell it is the Squat that is really pulling it together . . there are times that I can not even tell I was injured. My area of concern is this: I was a “farm strong” guy before the accident . .genetics and hay bales gave me a good foundation. I can tell that with the proper technique, diet and training that I will be able to lift a good amount of weight some day. I am concerned about the trade off between what my muscle can handle vs possible reinjuring or hurting my legs where the breaks were. Have you ever encountered someone with this concern, type of injury, seen them rehab.. etc . . . so much of this is getting your head right - -and this is sticking in my mind. What can I expect? Will the bones give out before the muscles . . a lot of stuff on my mind that the doctors arer about as useful as tits on a boar hog when it comes to answering. Both the doctors and the Physical therapists can’t tell me anything as they say I am an anomaly - -that I have far surpassed what they thought possible. That is why I am coming to you. I sent Mr. Rippetoe an email asking these things but then I thought that many in the forum may have experience with this or could offer some sage advice. I appreciate all of your time and any assistance you can provide. I can not tell you how amazing the results have been thus far just in doing the basic compunds: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Press, Row. It is a damn near miracle the difference between where I am now . .and where I was less than a year ago."

Keep in mind that I am not a doctor nor am I offering any kind of medical advice, suggestions etc. What I am doing you is letting you see what my experience with pilon fractures of both legs. I had the same concerns. I could have listened to my doctors "recommendations". I also believe that had I listened to them - I would be crippled today. I would still have the major hardware in both legs today. I didn't and I don't.

Rather than rehashing it all in an ineffective way (I tend to really go on when I discuss it - life changing) I'll leave you with this article written by Karl S. It gives you a good overall picture of my situation. You may be able to find some use with it Barbell Training as Rehab | Karl Schudt

If still interested there is a video also of a talk I gave at a SSC conference. And of course I am available to answer any questions, discuss any concerns you may have. For me - one thing that I found - is that rather than a negative - the early days, weeks and months of recovery were awesome for rebuilding and strengthening the bone. Your body is in such a state of wanting to reheal and rejuvenate anyways that by adding the stimulation of effective and intelligent training (ala Starting Strength program) it responded and responded well. Best of luck, hope this helps, never hesitate to holler at me.
    Do you recall how long you waited to start lifting again both times you got the hardware out? And what the sensation was after the hardware was removed?

Thats just it - -I didnt wait. I was supposed to have my hardware for life. My bone grew back so thick and gnarly where the breaks were at; and was in such a state of rejuvenation that the bone pushed the hardware out of place and back through my skin. I actually had one of the pins come completely through the soft tissue and I could see it.

Best I recollect, I think I had the hardware in a few months intially when I first started squatting. It took about a year but I blasted out the hardware in the left leg and had to have it surgically removed. That just convinced me to blast the other out and I think I had it mangled and removed within another 6 to 8 months maybe?

As far as sensation - I ran the gamut. I had a shit ton of nerve damage along with a total of 9 surgeries so there was/were all kind of varying sensations. Numbness, particularly in the bottom of my feet, was very common. Swelling - common. Shooting, intense, nerve pain at times - yes. Nearly a constant dull ache of pain (think toothache) in the ends of both tibias. I still "feel" all kind of different stuff in them but I was fortunate to learn early on that "feel" doesn't equal inability or effectiveness. Most of it was between my ears and in my chest. I was so fortunate to not only have my family supporting me but also the Starting Strength family/group. There are a million different variations of the adage "whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right". And as cliche as it sounds it is true. Absolutely true. And most doctors, PTs, etc etc do not expect that you will push yourself and they are more than willing to offer pain killers and handicapped stickers . . . I refused. If I wasnt going to be able to train, get strong, and walk - then I would be the strongers MF'er with a limp, or in a wheechair . .or crawling with knee pads and gloves. You have to get it in your head what you want to do, what your body tells you and go from there. Again - I cant tell you that what worked for me will work for you. And I am not suggesting you ignore your care providers. I'm not a doctor and only relaying what worked for me. And if you just can't . . you can't . .no shame. But dont let someone else tell you that you can't; don't believe that you are only able to do the bare minimum. From an athletic or attitude standpoint there was/is nothing exemplary or out of the ordinary about me. I was about an average a "Joe" as one could be. The reason I say that is really - if I can do it - anyone can do it. As long as you give yourself no other option. Post hardware surgery removal - it was a few weeks berfore I squatted, but I was benching, pressing and deadlifting without taking a break I think . .I'd have to go back through some old logs but I dont recall any extended period of waiting. That was me though. Only you know your leg(s) and injuries.

Implant removal from a bimalleolar fracture is minor surgery, sometimes even done in local anestesia.
    But also minor surgery takes its toll on your body so I would do a 10% reset with rapid return to your presurgery weights in 2-4 weeks (depending on your stats and general wellbeeing)
    I usually caution against jumping, sprinting and all sorts of ball sports with high risk of angle sprains.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    Do you recall how long you waited to start lifting again both times you got the hardware out? And what the sensation was after the hardware was removed?
    I had a tibial rod/nail with 4 screws removed, replaced with a plate, 7 screws and a graft. I started lifting when the stitches came out, very light, and added weight for a couple years. I've never "felt" the hardware or holes where the old hardware came out from lifting.