starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie Looking For Advices

Default Newbie Looking For Advices

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sex:Male
    Frame:Small (yes I am insecure about my wrists)
    Height:176cm
    Training History:I was doing 5x5 for one year but because of my stupidity (ate less calories, ate too much processed foods, switched program regularly, listened bad advices, etc.) my lifts are trash. I have been doing SS novice program for a month now:

Squat:102.5kg, 3x5
    Bench Press:65kg, 5-5-4
    Press:42.5kg, 3x5
    Deadlift:112.5kg, 1x5
    Barbell Row:62.5kg, 3x5

Current Weight and BF% Estimate:76kg, %19BF
    Current Calorie and Macro Totals:I'm trying to eat 3500-4000 calories but macros are not stable, I will explain.

My Question:

I'm living in Turkey and I am a student, so reaching to supplements is an expensive choice for me, I can't eat red meat because it is expensive, and sometimes I can't even buy chicken. Because of this, my macro intakes are not stable, sometimes protein is low (it can be 100gr), sometimes fat is too much and there is not much choices for me.

I can buy oats, milk, wheat germs (but I am not sure about how to eat it, people saying eating much can cause problems), legumes. We are doing yoghurt our own, so I can eat a lot. Eggs are cheap but eating boiled eggs is a torture for me.

In the light of explanations, what should I eat and how much calorie I need to take? And, are my macros can cause problems?

Thanks.

Thanks for reaching out to us all the way from Turkey. Have you tried the GOMAD recommendation. Not necessarily with whole milk, perhaps low-fat or non fat. Cheap and provides you with plenty of carbohydrates and protein. How about egg whites? Also, are you doing your chin ups or pulldowns?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Thanks for reaching out to us all the way from Turkey. Have you tried the GOMAD recommendation. Not necessarily with whole milk, perhaps low-fat or non fat. Cheap and provides you with plenty of carbohydrates and protein. How about egg whites? Also, are you doing your chin ups or pulldowns?

I tried to drink milk, but not a gallon, maybe half of it, because of my body fat level. I can try GOMAD with low-fat, thanks.

I am doing chin-ups but not regularly because I am not sure about adding them to the program or not. Is my strength level enough for adding them?

Thanks again.

I've spoken to Rip about this and we are in agreement that more chinning is not detrimental to progress on the program and may be helpful. In fact, nowhere does the book say that you need to be "strong enough" to do chin ups. Now if you are unable to do a chin up then you need to do lat pulldowns. The program, as written, calls for chin ups or lat pulldowns in by the end of the first month.

As for the milk, drink a gallon of low fat or nonfat and you'll be fine. The whole is where you would need to worry about excess body fat if you do not fit the demographic that it was intended for.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I've spoken to Rip about this and we are in agreement that more chinning is not detrimental to progress on the program and may be helpful. In fact, nowhere does the book say that you need to be "strong enough" to do chin ups. Now if you are unable to do a chin up then you need to do lat pulldowns. The program, as written, calls for chin ups or lat pulldowns in by the end of the first month.

As for the milk, drink a gallon of low fat or nonfat and you'll be fine. The whole is where you would need to worry about excess body fat if you do not fit the demographic that it was intended for.
    Thanks for your replies. I added chin-ups to my program, and barbell curls as their assistance.

My last question is about my calorie consumption. Is 4000 calorie enough, or is it too much?

No need for curls but they won't hurt you. 4000 should be enough. If you gain too much weight, scale it back but you'll be fine as long as you are being honest about adding weight and keep your technique in line as you do so.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OzanTepe View Post
    Sex:Male
    Frame:Small (yes I am insecure about my wrists)
    Height:176cm
    Training History:I was doing 5x5 for one year but because of my stupidity (ate less calories, ate too much processed foods, switched program regularly, listened bad advices, etc.) my lifts are trash. I have been doing SS novice program for a month now:

Squat:102.5kg, 3x5
    Bench Press:65kg, 5-5-4
    Press:42.5kg, 3x5
    Deadlift:112.5kg, 1x5
    Barbell Row:62.5kg, 3x5

Current Weight and BF% Estimate:76kg, %19BF
    Current Calorie and Macro Totals:I'm trying to eat 3500-4000 calories but macros are not stable, I will explain.

My Question:

I'm living in Turkey and I am a student, so reaching to supplements is an expensive choice for me, I can't eat red meat because it is expensive, and sometimes I can't even buy chicken. Because of this, my macro intakes are not stable, sometimes protein is low (it can be 100gr), sometimes fat is too much and there is not much choices for me.

I can buy oats, milk, wheat germs (but I am not sure about how to eat it, people saying eating much can cause problems), legumes. We are doing yoghurt our own, so I can eat a lot. Eggs are cheap but eating boiled eggs is a torture for me.

In the light of explanations, what should I eat and how much calorie I need to take? And, are my macros can cause problems?

Thanks.
    Well, I am here after a month about my progress and weight gains.

I tried milk for one-two weeks, but I am lactose intolerant (I mean really, really lactose intolerant) so I switched to chicken.

Here are my lifts:

Squat:120kg, 5-5-4 (1st. day), 5-4-3 (2nd. day), 4-3-3 (3rd. day) | (stalled very bad, so I removed %10 of the weight out of the bar)
    Bench Press:72.5kg, 5-5-4
    Press:47.5kg, 5-4-4
    Deadlift:125kg, 1x5 (I stalled once because of technique problems, now its pretty good, I am adding 5kg for every workout now)
    Barbell Row:80kg, 3x5 (I was loving this lift but after I read more pages from the book, I switched to cleans)

Current Weight and BF% Estimate:82-83kg, near %21-22 bodyfat (92cm waist)
    Current Calorie and Macro Totals:I am getting at least 3000 calories, 300-350 grams of carb. and 160-230 grams of protein. Only problem is, I am a dirty-eater.

Firstly, thank you for all your recommendations, now I am more strong and confident. I think I can still progress with SSLP but it getting harder and harder (especially squats). I thought maybe I can add a light day for squats after a second stall, is it good or bad for me?

And my second problem is my dear friend belly, I was with him for all of my life, and after some point, I want to get rid of him (because I am a young man who wants to look good). What is the best way to do this? I know this is too hard with LP, but I think I am near of the ending of LP. Can I switch to a Intermediate program for fat loss after a month or two?

Thanks again.