starting strength gym

Thread: Light Tuna Consumption

Default Light Tuna Consumption

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was curious, and had a question.

I've been eating those Starkist "Tuna Creation" packs to help meet protein numbers (as well as get the Omega 3's). Generally I eat a single 2.6oz foil pack a day (Mon-Fri) as a mid morning (~8:30-9am), post work out snack (I train early in the morning, with a post workout double scoop protein shake + creatine).

My question is, how much is too much (if any)? The articles, studies and warnings seem to be all over the place. So, I was wondering if you could share your thoughts on this? Should I be switching it up with some sardines maybe (shorter life cycle, less chance for mercury build up, etc.)? They'd be a little less convenient, and a bit more smelly, but was thinking it may be an option.

At any rate, I tried these foil packs about a month or so ago, and really like the flavor options and convenience for use at work. I just don't want to over do it if it is potentially harmful.

Thoughts?

The mercury myth has been debunked for the most part. Tuna contains mercury has a selenium content that exceeds that of the mercury. If the selenium content of the fish exceeds the mercury content, the selenium chelates the mercury, allowing you to effectively excrete it. Now some fish do have higher mercury:selenium ratios (pilot whale, tarpon, and various types of sharks), which carry a greater risk of mercury toxicity.

Robert,

Thank you for the information, it is greatly appreciated (and informative).

Great info and appreciated as I enjoy seafood as often as I can get it. Mostly tuna, mahi mahi, halibut and salmon but I enjoy swordfish occasionally. I once had a mako filet. That was amazing.

Good to know - I switched from Tuna to canned Salmon specifically because of mercury. Nice to know I can switch back, but I like the salmon better...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
    Robert,

Thank you for the information, it is greatly appreciated (and informative).
    You are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by danomite! View Post
    Great info and appreciated as I enjoy seafood as often as I can get it. Mostly tuna, mahi mahi, halibut and salmon but I enjoy swordfish occasionally. I once had a mako filet. That was amazing.
    Excellent, glad you found it valuable. Do some research on the area where the fish is being caught too since different bodies of water will have different selenium content. In general though, as long as you stay away from the fish listed above you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Good to know - I switched from Tuna to canned Salmon specifically because of mercury. Nice to know I can switch back, but I like the salmon better...
    I agree and I alternate between the two. I'm a big yellowtail fan myself