starting strength gym

Thread: Nervous About Weight on SS

Default Nervous About Weight on SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quick background: I'm 27 years old, 6'3", currently at 235 lbs. A little over two years ago I weighed a horrendous 315 lbs due to a sedentary lifestyle and not knowing jack about nutrition and eating whatever I wanted. I picked up some dumbbells from Modell's and did a basic bro split at home, doing light cardio every night, and watching what I ate (still not the best stuff always, but kicked soda, Domino's, Five Guys, etc).

As of November 2018 I was 208 lbs and stalled. Looking to get into actual lifting I joined a gym and looked into Starting Strength. I've been doing well on the program but had to deload my squat and deadlift a few times to fix form. Since starting the program I've gained 27 lbs and while I've toned up my legs I've got a lot of fluff on the upper body again (creeping from 36" waist to 38"). I never seriously really tracked how much food I was eating until late January, so I hopped on a TDEE calc and have been trying to stick to the following nutritional guidelines for cutting with high protein intake:

~2300 carbs
    215g protein
    72g fats
    161g carbs

Is this a feasible diet for maintaining my LP while trimming some of my excess fat? Macro ratios look okay? Should I just buckle down and eat more?

Here are my PRs if it helps:

DL: 325 lbs
    Squat: 265 lbs
    OHP: 120 lbs
    BP: 175 lbs

Let me know if there's any more information I can provide.

Thanks for posting. Congratulations on keeping all that weight off, that is not a marginal result by any means. I don't think you should gain or lose weight right now. you have room to grow and your body will change for the better as the weight on the bar increases. Ramp those carbohydrates up to 300 g and pull fat if you feel like you're headed in the wrong direction. You shouldn't though especially for where your lifts are at.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Thanks for posting. Congratulations on keeping all that weight off, that is not a marginal result by any means. I don't think you should gain or lose weight right now. you have room to grow and your body will change for the better as the weight on the bar increases. Ramp those carbohydrates up to 300 g and pull fat if you feel like you're headed in the wrong direction. You shouldn't though especially for where your lifts are at.
    Will do, thanks coach!

You are very welcome!