starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting fat and no muscle gain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by FitzgeraldGrant View Post
    Starting to add egg white into my breakfast instead of only the full eggs. I used to just have 5 eggs sometimes twice a day, but the fat easily get's to 50g in just two meals.
    Yep eggs and fat are not bad, you just don't need that many in your diet because of that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkelheit View Post
    Robert is it possible that diets like keto are so popular because they don't require exercise? So the carb intake is low all the time and the body will consume the fat instead? Or at least that's what i understand.

About the LP, i had a tough week (stress, bad sleep, one day i didn't get all the protein). I tried 320 a few hours ago and i couldn't lift it from the floor. In addition, i tried the hook grip and felt incredibly well, i used it on every warm up set and even the work set, sadly it didn't felt secure enough, at least enough to lift the bar from the floor, i guess it was due to lack of previous exposure to it. I'll repeat the weight and probably try it with the alternative grip (i also did, but i guess it wasn't a good idea because i didn't warm-up with it) on next friday. I have another question, is it to much of a problem switching gyms and plates? My gym is moving away so maybe i'll have to change to one with iron plates made in my city (which means not calibrated) and they are obviously heavier than the rubber /bumper plates i have been using.

Keto is popular because you lose fat on a full stomach (up to a point). Your stored body fat still goes down at the same rate because stored body fat mobilization it dependent upon being in a negative energy balance. Math and biological variability prevents fat losses >1-2 lb per week. Let's take the the classic "3500 calorie rule" and apply it to a guy with a 2000 calorie maintenance level. If he eats 1500 calories per day he'll lose 1 lb that week, 1000 calories he'll lose 2 lb, 500 calories he'll lose 3, and 0 (!!) he'll lose 4. Obviously, the 1-2 range is the most realistic without starving the poor guy. Now it doesn't always work that neatly because the 3500 calorie weekly restriction doesn't always apply. Some people need more some less. I had a guy who burned 3000 at baseline and needed to eat 2000 to lose 1-2 lb per week but 2500 resulted in zero weight loss. So to bring it back home, going low carb doesn't change this. It just makes it where your body starts burning up the fat that you eat mores than carbs (hence the "better fat burner" argument) but this does not mean that more stored fat is utilized. I covered this on the Art of Manliness podcast extensively :-).

Hi Robert, i'm worried that i might have approached the end of my LP on DL. I tried 320 again, and neither sleep nor food intake were a problem most of the week. I'm sorry if i bother too much by posting every week. But what do you think? DL didn't leave the floor, and 285 felt heavier than last time. Is it posible to lose a lot of strength in a few weeks that lacked a decent DLworkout I'm sure everything else is in order. But jeez, i want to get to a 380-405 dl before i end LP

How many carbohydrates per day were you eating?

About 417. I'm thinking about lowering them a little just to stay at 3000 calories per day and stop gaining weight. I'm already lowering most of the fat down to 98g.but at this point is kind of hard to lower calories/fat without removing protein.

Are you eating that much everyday? And why 417 lol. An odd number?

Most of my protein consumption comes out of milk and powdered milk, and milk has a lot of carbs. Of course, my stomach wouldn't handle the milk by itself. So i added two bananas and two cups of oats. It makes it taste better and adds a little of protein with the oats. Add to that a tuna sandwich and a cup and a half of rice just to kept me from being hungry during the day. When i started "tracking" my fitness pal told me it was 417 most of the time. Point is that i'm eating 400 grams a day. Damn, i even realized some days ago that i was eating around 220grams of protein instead of 200. But yeah, i will lower everything to 3000 just to stop the weight gain.

Leave the carbs alone and lower the fat. You have more room there and it shouldn't impact performance.

What do you think of these macros? 400/200/70. I lowered them to 350/195/90 two days ago. However, i'll get the carbs back up, i thought i were overdoing them. Do you think i will lose protein if i remove the yolk out of eggs? Or is it a viable way to reduce fat intake?

That sounds doable. The protein content of 3 egg whites = the protein content of 1 yolk so you'll have to adjust accordingly. As long as total protein stays up and you are getting most of it from animal protein you should be golden.

starting strength coach development program
    I injured myself on Monday, left adductor, nothing serious,no bruise, everything is the same, but heavy squats are painful, so i started the Starr Rehab Protocol. I saw in another thread that you recommended to keep the pulling while doing the protocol. I'm curious, wouldn't this interfere with the healing process? Would i pull as usual? MWF? Do you still share the same opinion? Furthermore, my gym is moving place.I have two switch to another gym, and i have two options; a gym that is kind of far for me but has almost the same type of plates (rubber) or stay in a place which has heavier iron plates. This worries me because it may disrupt my pressing movements or deadlifts. What do you think? Which option is better? I maybe have answered myself both questions, but i would like some advice, if it isn't a problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast