starting strength gym

Thread: LP diet past 200 lbs

Default LP diet past 200 lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey, Robert. I am a 15 yr old male with a fast metabolism, which is enhanced greatly by my LP. I went from weighing 160 lbs in mid October at the end of football season to 200 lbs now. I am just now starting to see my face get fatter and I am starting to develop a small double chin. I am interested in cleaning up my diet in order to minimize this. I really don't care about fat gain anywhere else. I want to continue the LP. I have suffered two adductor injuries squatting. This has eaten 14 weeks of my training time total. I have addressed this issue and it shouldn't happen again. I am healed now.

Lifts:
    Squat: 335x3x5
    Press: 137.5x3x5
    Bench: 195x3x5
    Dead: 360x1x5
    PC: 202.5x5x3

This whole period since football season I have been drinking on average half a gallon of whole milk and a half gallon of 1% per day. I drink a quart of whole for breakfast at 7 AM, and then a quart of 1% at around 9 AM. With my crappy school lunch, I drink a quart of 1%. Before I go to bed, I drink a quart of whole milk.

To clean this up and to minimize excessive fat gain, should I take out all whole and replace it with 1 or 2%? I am probably around 16% body fat based on the internet pictures. I still kind of have abs, just so you can get an idea of where I am body fat-wise.

I appreciate any advice,

Jack Morrison

Thanks for posting Jack. We are all happy to hear that you got on this wagon at your age. Very nice life decision.

I'd take the fat down by switching to 1% milk or nonfat if you think that your weight gain is out of control. How tall are you? Are you chinning too?

I am 5'11" and I chin twice a week. I can only get 5 reps per set now.

What is the reasoning behind switching to lower fat milk? Is it the fat that should be reduced in the diet or is it the overall calories?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    I am 5'11" and I chin twice a week. I can only get 5 reps per set now.
    LP that chin volume and move to three times per week. You'll add more muscle this way and carry your weight better up top. I like to LP my novices to 400 total chins per week if the elbows can stand it. Start by aiming for 200 and go from there. If you can make it to 400 you'll be chinning 10-15 reps by the end of that. Start each set with a AMRAP.

As for your BMI, you are at a good weight so don't gain anymore. Just scale back and hang out at 200. Keep driving your lifts up and your body composition will continue to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrison View Post
    What is the reasoning behind switching to lower fat milk? Is it the fat that should be reduced in the diet or is it the overall calories?
    Calories first and foremost. I instructed him to pull fat because fat has little, if any, contribution to performance whereas carbohydrates and protein contribute greatly, with carbohydrates becoming the most important macro as we advance in our training careers.

What would that chin LP look like in terms of numbers and sets x reps?

starting strength coach development program
    I typically set a total rep count for each week. Start at 20 per week then add 10 reps per week until you get to 400 reps in a week. Make sure your first set is always an AMRAP and then accumulate the remaining reps however works best.