starting strength gym

Thread: Mini LP Nutrition, late novice

Default Mini LP Nutrition, late novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Robert,

This will cover a lot of topics, but I think Nutrition forum is the best spot.

43 YO, 6'1", 205# I've got a fairly small bone structure, and not very wide shoulders. I'm a type I diabetic as well, FWIW.

I started flirting with SS (NDTP) in about 2013, at BW around 165#. Diet was high fat low carb, due to diabetes management. Lifts increased well, to the point I thought I was an intermediate, and switched to 5-3-1 and then Baker's GGW but never really ate well enough on any program, in hindsight. Best lifts up to last summer: DL 370x1 SQ 280x1 BP 210x1 OHP 135x1 BW was up to about 195#

Last fall, I took off about 2 months from lifting, and decided to do a mini-LP, this time with more appropriate nutrition: 3500-4000 calories, 200g protein, and 300-ish grams of carbs (and about 40% fat). My squat was at a new PR of 290x5 before missing a couple weeks due to schedule problems. I'm currently ramping back up to that level over a two week period.

It is surprising how much diet effects the program. However, with my weight at 205 currently, My BF is 17ish%, based on visual estimation. Size 34 pants are getting to be a stretch. I'm thinking I should taper back on calories (to about 3000) and fat, while maintaining 200g protein. Thoughts?

Also, I noticed on another thread you talking about doing an LP for chins: 3x per week, up to a goal of 200-400 total reps per week. I can only do about 4-5 reps max. Do I simply do chins after every workout (M-W-F)?

Congrats man! Not too shabby at all. What are the rest of your lifts right now? As you learned, being Type I diabetic does not mean not eating carbohydrates. Chase Lindley can talk to you all about that.....as he eats your meal, his and mine.

So I think a firm position on calorie restriction and The Program is in order. Unless you are a class II obese novice trainee (BMI>35), calorie restriction is not compatible with The Program. This is not you and a size 34" pant size is not a very large pant size. Now I can understand if you want to be leaner but attempting to do it on This Program is not going to go very far. My experience has been that trained male lifters (i.e. guys who have run The Program in the past) (and some females too) eventually start missing reps prematurely and need to move to an intermediate program until the calorie restriction is removed. Then you can recycle LP once calories are re-introduced. The short of it is that if you are going to reduce calories don't expect big PRs and if you get them that is a bonus. Don't bother with multiple resets, it won't do you any good because the issue is nutritional in nature. Just move onto a HLM style split until calories are restored. As for chins, I'd do 5 reps per workout this week, then 10 next week etc. That will work just fine.

Robert,

Thanks! To answer your questions: last DL was 310x5, pretty easy. BP was 170x5, also pretty easy. Ohp was 118x5. I focused on squats this cycle, since deadlifts are easier for me, and my squats are weak. OHP is getting tough (not enough volume). I added a volume day for DL on Monday (80% of Friday, 2 sets of 5), since DL volume is low on LP. (I realize these changes make ita pseudo intermediate program).

I appreciate the advice on calories with the LP. Mark knows what he's talking about! I just have to learn some things the hard way. I like the idea of alternating programs and diet depending on my current goals. You're right, I'm not obese, but just a fair bit fatter than my previous 43 years of existence.

And as to the T1D:. My A1C was 5.4% most recently, after eating that way for about 3 months (actually better control than on low carb....) it can be done.

Very lovely A1c, sounds like you are very well controlled and enjoying yourself some carbohydrates. With where your lifts are at for your size, I'm sure you'll recomp just fine as the upper body continues to get stronger. Matching the training program to the diet is essential for long-term success and also injury prevention.What is your best deadlift?

Thanks a bunch, Robert.

I’m managing the diabetes with a few tricks I’ve learned along the way. I never realized how important carbs are for training until recently.

My upper body lifts are definitely lagging. I was a decent 5K runner in high school, if that helps paint a picture – all legs and long limbs to boot. I’ve long thought I’m an “Ectomorph” and a “hardgainer”, which are nice terms for making excuses. These terms really mean diet is critical for lifting progress, in hindsight.

My best deadlift was 370x1 using Baker’s GGW about a year ago. I’ve favored squats on this cycle, since they lag about 100 lb. behind my deadlift. Squats were increased 10 lb per week (light Wednesday) with 5 lb weekly increase on deadlifts.

I haven’t stalled yet on this mini-LP – instead, I’ve had missed sessions. The most recent was 2 weeks off in the beginning of March: I’m still ramping back up volume and intensity over 2 weeks. During this time frame, I started cutting calories back, so it’s just as well I wasn’t lifting.

I think I’ll finish out the cycle with 4000 calories and 200 grams protein, and see where the lifts finally end up. After that, Baker’s Garage Gym Warrior with 3100 calories and 200 grams protein.

Thoughts?

You are very welcome. it's amazing what careful planning can do right? Your diet plan sounds good to me. Try it out and see what happens.

Deadlift being 100 lb ahead of squat is actually pretty normal. Don't sandbag the deadlift, the deadlift gets you a nicely jacked upper body. Make that 370 a 5RM then move onto 405, shouldn't be too difficult for you.

Thanks Robert.

starting strength coach development program
    You are very welcome!