starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6000 Calories a Day, 300 Grams of Protein; and Stomach Distress

Default 6000 Calories a Day, 300 Grams of Protein; and Stomach Distress

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello sir, I’m writing you today to ask two questions on caloric and protein intake and stomach distress.

In “The Novice Effect,” “A Clarification,” and “Recovery and Growth” articles authored by Mark Rippetoe, the youthful underweight novice is generally recommended 6,000 calories a day and 300 grams of protein spread throughout 4 meals with a GOMAD.

For an 18-year old novice weighing 146 lbs at 5’11, I’d say I fit this demographic. That said I must ask the reason for the excess in calories and protein. I can buy 1.1g/of of BW (protein) and a caloric excess of 1,000 calories, making 3000 a day for myself, but not 4,000 over baseline.

My question: Why 6,000 calories? Why 300 grams of protein?

My other question: How do I handle stomach distress? I seem to constantly be battling mild to severe stomach distress despite a high fiber, high protein diet with plenty of whole grains, fruits, and veggies. It doesn’t seem to have a clear trigger and I can only attribute it to eating a lot of food and drinking more milk than I’m used to, which is none.

The reason is that you are underweight and rapid weight gain may allow you to fill out and have better leverage for these lifts. You'll gain both fat and muscle but you'll lift more. Now Rip was giving very general advice that is not specific to any one individual. We've recently clarified nutrition more with my recent papers that you can find in the sticky in this board. My current protein recommendation is 150-250 g but more isn't necessarily harmful provided you have healthy functioning kidneys. It's just not necessary if you have trouble eating it. How much weight have you gained? How much water?

Hello sir, sorry for the late response.

I have gained four pounds since this initial post. Granted I think my jump from 140 to 146 was primarily the fact I began drinking plenty of water throughout the day and salting all my meals, and since I was eating a lot more I pretty much was bloated all day long. Since my last post, I have been training to the best of my ability but have only been able to manage 2 times a week or 3 times consecutively and have found I cannot press due to wrist tendonitis (that's only getting worse).

It became very difficult to eat after I posted, in that when I would eat any more than a couple "medium-sized" meals a day I would feel so awful it was detrimental to my function. This last week has been a bit of a comeback, alone accounting for half the weight gain in the previous few weeks and I've finally begun to eat breakfast without getting sick immediately afterward.

I'm certainly not drinking a gallon of milk a day or eating four small meals, despite my best consistent effort and haven't gained 10-15 pounds in the first two weeks of strength training as Rip may have "expected." But progress nonetheless.

Thank you,
    - DM

Quote Originally Posted by dmorrison View Post
    Hello sir, sorry for the late response.

I have gained four pounds since this initial post. Granted I think my jump from 140 to 146 was primarily the fact I began drinking plenty of water throughout the day and salting all my meals, and since I was eating a lot more I pretty much was bloated all day long. Since my last post, I have been training to the best of my ability but have only been able to manage 2 times a week or 3 times consecutively and have found I cannot press due to wrist tendonitis (that's only getting worse).

It became very difficult to eat after I posted, in that when I would eat any more than a couple "medium-sized" meals a day I would feel so awful it was detrimental to my function. This last week has been a bit of a comeback, alone accounting for half the weight gain in the previous few weeks and I've finally begun to eat breakfast without getting sick immediately afterward.

I'm certainly not drinking a gallon of milk a day or eating four small meals, despite my best consistent effort and haven't gained 10-15 pounds in the first two weeks of strength training as Rip may have "expected." But progress nonetheless.

Thank you,
    - DM
    Thanks for the update. Please describe “feeling awful.”

It feels like I have eaten to such excess that I'm going to get physically sick, and I all but throw up and this feeling with stay with me consistently throughout the day. I've reflected on it a bit and have come to believe that I'm just very stressed during the week and any stomach pain is a result of that stress and not necessarily a direct result of "eating more." I believe this because over the weekends I find myself able to drink almost a gallon of milk and 3 big meals without much of a problem. Another thought is maybe I'm eating too fast.

If it's happening during the week and not on the weekend then your theory is likely correct. Stress management is a psychological thing so not much I can add there other than you have to find the thing that chills you out and repeat it. That is going to be highly individual.

Understood sir, I appreciate your help. It is amazing to me that you give out this advice to free to just about anyone who asks, you guys are truly a hidden gem here.

Appreciate the kind words. I try to share what i can within reason.

If I can throw in my 2 cents: If you are 146 and up to this point have not been tracking food intake and basically woefully undereating, then I don't think you need to make the leap to 6,000 cals per day and certainly not 300g protein per day. I'm with Santana in that 90% of the population is going to fall between 150 and 250g protein per day. Very large muscular guys may need over 250g and some smaller women or even some men are gonna come in a little below 150g. But if you are trying to pack on mass I think I'd have you between 160-200g per day at around 40g per serving. That is 4-5 meals per day at 40g protein each. Fill in the balance with carbs and fats.

Make a list of protein foods and what constitutes a 40g serving. Quick google searches or MFP searches can help you here. For carbs, I'd be careful about foods that sit too heavy. Like sweet potato etc is great but can take a long time to digest and tend to "sit heavy" in the gut which can be problematic for a guy with a small appetite who needs alot of calories. You might do better with stuff like white rice that digests quickly and allows you to eat again in a few hours. You might have to experiment a bit to see what foods agree with you best

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    If I can throw in my 2 cents: If you are 146 and up to this point have not been tracking food intake and basically woefully undereating, then I don't think you need to make the leap to 6,000 cals per day and certainly not 300g protein per day. I'm with Santana in that 90% of the population is going to fall between 150 and 250g protein per day. Very large muscular guys may need over 250g and some smaller women or even some men are gonna come in a little below 150g. But if you are trying to pack on mass I think I'd have you between 160-200g per day at around 40g per serving. That is 4-5 meals per day at 40g protein each. Fill in the balance with carbs and fats.

Make a list of protein foods and what constitutes a 40g serving. Quick google searches or MFP searches can help you here. For carbs, I'd be careful about foods that sit too heavy. Like sweet potato etc is great but can take a long time to digest and tend to "sit heavy" in the gut which can be problematic for a guy with a small appetite who needs alot of calories. You might do better with stuff like white rice that digests quickly and allows you to eat again in a few hours. You might have to experiment a bit to see what foods agree with you best
    Agreed :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast