starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep issues after hard workouts

Default Sleep issues after hard workouts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys I am new SS forum user! Hello everyone!
    In the last few years when I train hard (in whatever intensity, volume or aerobics), my sleep is compromised: I feel like nervous and while I can fall asleep, I woke up around 3/4 or 5 am and never be able to sleep again.
    Some other informations: I tried to change my diet (eat more carbohydrates in the evening's last meal), took phosphatidylserine or beta sitosterol and it went better but the problem still endure.
    Usually I train in the evening around 6/7 pm until 10 pm (never less then 2.5 hours but I keep the hard series in the beginning) 5 days a week.
    Sometimes I sleep well despite working out, other times I suffer from insomnia even if I hadn’t hit the gym. There are periods in which the phenomenon is frequent (in 5 on 7 nights I sleep under 5/6 hours, sometimes also 3 or less hours) and periods in which I sleep like a baby 👶.
    Am I in overtraining? How can I possibly solve my problem?
    Thank you in advance for your response.

Age/Height/Weight/Programming?

It is a very common symptom for those who workout in the evenings. Have you tried working out in the am? High carbohydrate intake could cause blood sugar spikes in those later hours because glucose levels tend to peak in the early morning hours due to its diurnal variation. You still need a good chunk of carbohydrates around training times to fuel the workouts and replenish glycogen but you may want to dial the total amount down and see if that makes a difference.

I am 60 and have had the same issue. I finally moved to one main lift a day to early morning (5:00 am). It was hard getting use to but after 2 weeks no issue. I still don't like lifting that early but sleep is essential and it has made a difference in recovery, and according to my wife my disposition.

You will get used to it in due time. Just need more warm up and a large breakfast or shake to get you going.

It seems that the problem is not necessarily related to the workouts as he describes, as there are days when he sleeps well with exercise and bad nights without it.
    I would rule out other potential causes of insomnia, such as stimulant use during the afternoon (coffee, tea, preworkout blends), screen use around bed time, too big of a meal just before bed, antidepressants and other medications, and even creatine before bed (there is anedoctal evidence of restlessness with creatine supplementation) - just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    It seems that the problem is not necessarily related to the workouts as he describes, as there are days when he sleeps well with exercise and bad nights without it.
    I would rule out other potential causes of insomnia, such as stimulant use during the afternoon (coffee, tea, preworkout blends), screen use around bed time, too big of a meal just before bed, antidepressants and other medications, and even creatine before bed (there is anedoctal evidence of restlessness with creatine supplementation) - just to name a few.
    This depends on the nature of the workout too. Is he sleeping poorly after a heavy squat and deadlift session and better when it's not? Yes there are many factors but that is an easy one to rule out. Then you go down the list. Low hanging fruit first.

I'm 26, 1.82 mt, 91 kgs. Program: 5 days per week, bench (of course) on Monday, squat on Tuesday, Wednesday press , Thursday deadlift and Friday/Saturday barbell raw. For all this main exercises I begin with 1x4 (set x reps) then 1x3, 1x2 and 1x1 with long rest between sets. The weight increase between sets and should be as close as possible to 4RM, 3RM, 2RM and 1RM but not the same, little above in order to maintaining acceptable technique. After that I work on technique on a different of the main exercises doing light sets of 6x10 doing slowly movements with at most 40/50 of 1RM. Finally stretches or light cardio. On the press day I workout biceps, triceps and traps 3x5 very slow movement, and after that 4x8.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Age/Height/Weight/Programming?

It is a very common symptom for those who workout in the evenings. Have you tried working out in the am? High carbohydrate intake could cause blood sugar spikes in those later hours because glucose levels tend to peak in the early morning hours due to its diurnal variation. You still need a good chunk of carbohydrates around training times to fuel the workouts and replenish glycogen but you may want to dial the total amount down and see if that makes a difference.
    I tried not for a long time due to the thing got worse, when working out in the morning I was not even able to fall asleep ��.

In the last few weeks, with increasing frequency of the sleepless nights I tried cut off coffees and working out in the morning, it went bad. I finally give up on heavy sets and sleep was normal.

starting strength coach development program
    Because I'm busy with work, family, life, etc I often cannot train until 9pm. To get going I need a strong cup of coffee before I train. I get done at around 10:30 and its impossible for me to get to sleep before 1:30-2am because of the adrenaline from the workout and the caffeine. The lack of sleep then fucks up my next days training. Lately however, I've been getting to sleep a bit earlier by drinking a protein shake, shower and then reading a book. The book gets me to bed a little earlier. Try it and see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast