starting strength gym

Thread: Diet advice

Default Diet advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert,

Im looking for some advice on my diet. I have been getting my lifts in on the SSLP but the one thing that has bothered me lately is my body and the way I look. I find that as I gain weight I am gaining just a bigger and bigger stomach and I'm not much of a fan of that. I understand that the program is about strength and not looks and I am also aware that I won't look like a model in my lifetime. I just feel like I'm getting fat. I am 33 year old male and have been running SSLP since February 2019. I am 5'10" and 194lbs. As for BF% I would say 30% or more. I eat roughly a 2500-3000 calories a day, I try to get in 170g of protein and unsure of the rest, carbs are higher and fat is possibly 60g or so. My current lifts are as follows:

Squat- 3x5-245lbs
    Press- 3x5-107lbs
    Deadlift-1x5-260lbs
    Bench-3x5-160lbs

I was struggling with my lifts and was advised to get my body weight up to 200-215lbs. I have tried to reach this goal to get my lifts up but it seems like as I eat more and more and focus on my protein to help build muscle but I don't feel like I'm doing enough. I can be a picky eater and struggle to get my protein numbers in. I also work a job were eating for the job is hard to do and getting food in is tough when you don't have access to it. I drink milk when I can and I try to get in protein shakes to help get my numbers.

What are your macro averages for the past week? It sounds to me that you aren't eating properly to facilitate adequate progress. a 260 @ 1 x 5 deadlift is ~100 lb too light for a 194 lb male.

I'm sorry for the late response. I have figured these numbers out. I have been pretty bad about tracking lately and sick so I know I have slacked off but the averages are;
    2041 Cals
    190 Carbs
    75 Fat
    159 Protein

After doing these numbers I am sure I am under eating with my protein numbers. I also know that I struggle getting everything in and not sure what to do.

You are under eating period. Carbs are gonna need to be a lot higher than that. Double those for starters. Training will get easier.

shoot for something like 380 carbs, 318 for protein, 150 fat or 380 carbs with 200 protein and keeping fat low?

starting strength coach development program
    The latter should work well.