starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and Macros

Default Deadlift and Macros

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Robert. I posted a new topic in the programming forum about some issues with my deadlift progress and Rip indicated I wasn’t eating enough. Below is my original post, if you can shed any light, I’d certainly appreciate it.

Male, 37yo, 5'11", 215lbs. I should be eating enough (minimum of 200g protein daily with more on training days, 250-300 Carb, and fat generally below 90). Sleep can be an issue, but on most nights at least 6 hours.

Started running LP in December of 2018, and finished LP in April with 305SQ, 235B, 330DEAD, 170P. Since 4/27 I've been running a 4 day split due to time constraints. I started 4 day split by adding 5 pounds to the last LP sets for Intensity, and then 85% of the ending LP set for Volume. Then have attempted to add 5 pounds both Intensity and Volume weekly.
    M - Deadlift 5rm, Squat 5x5
    Tu - Press 5rm, Bench 5x5, Chins
    Th - Squat 5rm, Deadlift 3x5
    F - Bench 5rm, Press 5x5, Rows

Deadlift was the first thing I failed in LP at 310, so I switched to 2 sets of 3. I progressed to 345 doing that before failing again. Went back to sets of 5 for a few workouts before the end of LP, and finished up at 330x5. Pulled 335x5 for the first Deadlift intensity, and then failed on the 4th rep of 340 the next week. Rested a few minutes, and added 2 more reps. This morning, a week later, I failed 340 again on the 4th rep. Rested and was able to get 3 more reps.

You could try pulling on your squat 5RM day or on an upper body day. 5 x 5 squats are a whole lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You could try pulling on your squat 5RM day or on an upper body day. 5 x 5 squats are a whole lot of work.
    Thanks for the feedback Robert.

Just to clarify, I'm pulling the 5rm before the 5x5 squats. I agree that the 5 sets of squats are a lot, and would be happy to move back to 3, if that's what you're suggesting. Would you tweak the "Intensity" day by adding some back off sets after the heavy set of 5?

Well you are pulling it beforehand, which is better than after but you are also doing it a couple of days after a 5RM squat correct? I don't think you should move to three sets of 5 but maybe 4 would work or maybe your offload in intensity may need to be bigger. Remember there is overlapping stress between the squat and the deadlift so when I start seeing missed heavy deadlifts the first thing I look at is squat programming unless your deadlift program is obviously too high or too low in sets. Your second pulling day may be too high in intensity too? Let's see some actual numbers from your recent training week.

Thank you for the detailed response. Here are the last 10 days or so lower body days. I do the 4 workouts in order, but don’t always hit the M,T, Th, F goal. I always make sure to wait 3 days between upper body workouts and the same with lower.

5/7 Deadlift 340x3,2. Squat 265x5x5. Was intended to be a 5rm and failed the 4th rep. Pulled 2 more after rest. Completed 335x5 the prior week.
    5/13 Squat 315x5. Deadlift 275x5x3
    5/16 Deadlift 340x3x2. Squat 270x5x5. Again failed on the 4th rep. Thought last week may have been due to lack of sleep for 2 nights. Was able to pull 3 more reps after about 5-6 mins rest.

I think you are pulling too heavy on your lighter deadlift day. Try 225 next workout and see what happens.

Will do! Thanks again

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome!