starting strength gym

Thread: Zoloft & remeron

Default Zoloft & remeron

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not sure what thread I should pose a question about antidepressants. I have been prescribed mirtazapine & sertraline I guess for depression, PTSD, paranoia and persistent sleep deprivation by the V.A. They insist that I try the medication but I am concerned about the side effects of the medication and the effect it will have on my training. Lifting weights has been very helpful in managing my mental health but for a few months now, it has not been enough. I am very serious about my training and I very much believe in the starting strength method. I am currently back on LP after a two and a half week layoff if that matters. Just to summarize, I would like any doctors advice on these antidepressants or anyone with experience with these medications and the effect I can expect on training. I gave not started taking the stuff yet but the side effects list is a mile long for both. Thanks for your time!

Not a doc but i'm a little familiar with these drugs. You may feel a little slower under the bar and it may be difficult to manage high intensity depending on the dose. Again, not my area so I'd defer to your doc and go through some trial and error.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon_tingstrom7 View Post
    Not sure what thread I should pose a question about antidepressants. I have been prescribed mirtazapine & sertraline I guess for depression, PTSD, paranoia and persistent sleep deprivation by the V.A. They insist that I try the medication but I am concerned about the side effects of the medication and the effect it will have on my training. Lifting weights has been very helpful in managing my mental health but for a few months now, it has not been enough. I am very serious about my training and I very much believe in the starting strength method. I am currently back on LP after a two and a half week layoff if that matters. Just to summarize, I would like any doctors advice on these antidepressants or anyone with experience with these medications and the effect I can expect on training. I gave not started taking the stuff yet but the side effects list is a mile long for both. Thanks for your time!
    I took an SNRI for about a year, and I have immediate family members who take either SNRIs or SSRIs, (including one who takes sertraline). In addition to what Robert said, keep in mind that there is an adjustment period, both to the medicine itself, and any time you change the dose. It's hard to predict how *exactly* that will affect you, but assume that you will feel some physical effects. For me it was rather unpredictable blood pressure changes (both higher than normal and low, depending on time of day). Eventually it evened out. Having lived with a few people who have been prescribed similar or the same drugs, I would say very generally that the physical adjustment period will go anywhere from a week to a month.

That said, I've found the combo of weight training and antidepressants to have been a very positive one in my life, so I hope that you have a similar experience.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon_tingstrom7 View Post
    I have been prescribed mirtazapine & sertraline I guess for depression, PTSD, paranoia and persistent sleep deprivation by the V.A.
    What is V.A.?
    I find it curious that you've been prescribed two different antidepressants at the same time. The standard procedure would be to try one and then decide next steps. I'd recommend that if you decide to try medication, you start with just one.

They insist that I try the medication but I am concerned about the side effects of the medication and the effect it will have on my training.
    I gave not started taking the stuff yet but the side effects list is a mile long for both
    - If you're more concerned about side effects than about potential benefits, maybe your level of suffering is not that high. I don't mean to be condescending, but if you were desperate, you'd want to try, no? How long have you been suffering from the above conditions? What else have you tried? Psychotherapy? Sleep Hygiene, therapeutic sleep deprivation, lifestyle modifications?
    - Don't read the list of side effects. You don't know if you'll have adverse effects, and what they'll be. You'll definitely not have all of the mile long list. Your doctor should be able to tell you the most common adverse effects.
    - The effect on training should be minimal, and it need not be negative. An untreated depression probably impacts your training more than the drug would.

Thanks for your response robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    I took an SNRI for about a year, and I have immediate family members who take either SNRIs or SSRIs, (including one who takes sertraline). In addition to what Robert said, keep in mind that there is an adjustment period, both to the medicine itself, and any time you change the dose. It's hard to predict how *exactly* that will affect you, but assume that you will feel some physical effects. For me it was rather unpredictable blood pressure changes (both higher than normal and low, depending on time of day). Eventually it evened out. Having lived with a few people who have been prescribed similar or the same drugs, I would say very generally that the physical adjustment period will go anywhere from a week to a month.

That said, I've found the combo of weight training and antidepressants to have been a very positive one in my life, so I hope that you have a similar experience.
    I appreciate you sharing your experience and thanks for your encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    What is V.A.?
    I find it curious that you've been prescribed two different antidepressants at the same time. The standard procedure would be to try one and then decide next steps. I'd recommend that if you decide to try medication, you start with just one.

- If you're more concerned about side effects than about potential benefits, maybe your level of suffering is not that high. I don't mean to be condescending, but if you were desperate, you'd want to try, no? How long have you been suffering from the above conditions? What else have you tried? Psychotherapy? Sleep Hygiene, therapeutic sleep deprivation, lifestyle modifications?
    - Don't read the list of side effects. You don't know if you'll have adverse effects, and what they'll be. You'll definitely not have all of the mile long list. Your doctor should be able to tell you the most common adverse effects.
    - The effect on training should be minimal, and it need not be negative. An untreated depression probably impacts your training more than the drug would.
    V.A. stands for veterans affairs. It's a hospital that combat veterans go to for free and get treated like cattle. Are you from the u.s.? I have struggled with mental health stability for years and tried all of that anecdotal stuff. Strength training has been the most effective thing but it is no longer enough. I appreciate your response.

I am on 150mg sertraline and have noticed no adverse effects on lifting. I started at 50mg.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gisborne View Post
    I am on 150mg sertraline and have noticed no adverse effects on lifting. I started at 50mg.
    Thanks for sharing your experience!