starting strength gym

Thread: New to the Forum: Diet Advice Needed

Default New to the Forum: Diet Advice Needed

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for advice on my diet while beginning Starting Strength. I'll try to give as much background information as possible. Willing to take any advice needed.

I am a 37 year old male. June 4th of 2018, I went to the doctor for a kidney stone and weighed 345 pounds. 56 inch belly, 43 percent BF according to navy calculator. Horrible diet of mainly fast food and sweets. Decided to try and lose weight for myself, my sons, my wife.

Went mod protein, low carb, high fat and then started reading about high protein, low fat diets. Tried to start Starting Strength, but got obsessed with training just about everyday, lifting, running, hiit, etc. Weight loss was my obsession. My little gym did not have a squat rack so I never really pushed myself as I lifted alone...I watch videos from Rip, Thrall, barbell medicine guys, etc.

My current weight is 185. Navy body fat is at 12 percent, skulpt has it somewhere around 8.

I track every single thing I eat. Average around 1800 calories, although I ate less a couple months ago. I get over 300 grams of protein and only eat 99 lean turkey and chicken, tuna, egg whites, and the occasional eye of round steak. Carbs are between 20 and 50 grams. I played a carb up of 800+ for 2 months and tolerated the carbs. Fat is right around 50 grams.

Started the SS LP 3 weeks ago. Not very strong. Cut out cardio and just went to rest days. I do add chins, laying tri extensions, and some rows and shrugs to the basic A/B format. Even when I was younger, my lifts were always pretty weak. Right now I'm at:
    SQ 5x5 170
    BP 5x5 125
    DL 1x5 175
    OHP 5x5 100

So, my questions are:
    -How much should I bump my calories up to?
    -Should I just jump to that number or slowly start to add to my meals? If so, by how much? 300 a week? 500?
    -Should I be doing 3x5 instead of 5x5?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I want to get stronger and will do whatever it takes to get there.

Thanks for posting.

First, fix your deadlift. It's clear that the part of the book that says "make larger jumps on the deadlift in the beginning to get it ahead of the squat" was missed. Second, i'd get those calories up to 2500-3000 with carbs over 300 and protein over 200.

Lastly, you are not doing the SSNLP since we don't prescribe 5 x 5. If you are going to do the SSNLP then do 3 x 5 and make sure you are deadlifting a lot more than you currently are.

Thank you Robert. I will definitely start making those larger jumps on the deadlift and doing 3 x 5.

I will start planning out a good breakfast that will add those calories and and carbs and make up the rest during lunch or dinner. Oatmeal/cream of wheat, peanut butter, eggs, toast, and a banana should work.

You are very welcome. Get it done!

Posting after almost 2 weeks. Seeing if I should tweak anything.

BW 185 to 195
    SQ 170 to 205
    BP 125 to 140
    DL 175 to 235
    OHP 100 to 110 Couldn't finish my 3rd set. Bought some 1.25 plates in case I get stuck again

Macros
    P 300 C 325 F 75

Getting sleep, waking early before lift days and eating some cream of wheat, ezekial bread, eggs, then sleeping a little more before I lift. Then eating some more carbs after, during lunch, and dinner is pretty much protein.

Any advice would be welcomed...thanks for the previous response.

Update after 2 weeks. Stay the course or any advice would gladly be taken...

SQ 170 to 205
    DL 175 to 235 Deadlifting every workout now
    BP 125 to 140
    OHP 100 to 110 Failed on the last set but I know I can get it next session. Bought some 1.25 plates in case I can't move on by 5.

Body weight 185 to 195

Macros
    300P, 300C, 75F. Around 3100 cals.

IDK if it matters, but carbs are coming mainly in the form of cream of wheat, brown rice, oatmeal, Ezekiel bread. I wake up early on lift days, eat, and then sleep alittle more. Lift and then have some more carbs and about 50g of protein powder. Eat lunch then dinner is mainly protein.

Carb sources are good and lifts look good as well. Get the deadlift up...fast.....microload the press and eventually bench press. At the end of your LP your bench press should be progressing 2-3 lb and press 1-2 lb. So keep this in mind. Try more carbohydrates and see what happens.

Would 10 pounds each session on the DL be a good progression?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes unless that 235 was super light then you may wanna go more. Can't say without seeing