starting strength gym

Thread: Managing to find calories for a cut

Default Managing to find calories for a cut

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So, I weigh 110kg at 185cm weight and my BMR is 2166

Regarding TDEE, the "sedentary" option gives me 2300 and the "very active" 3300.

I am a pretty strong intermediate level lifter being overweigh t at 110kg wanting to cut and 185cm height, visible belly and stuff and probably 25-30% body fat

!)I started eating 2800 calories a week ago every single day with little to no deviation (100 max) and see how the scale goes but what keeps conserning me is how should I know if the aftermath be it good or bad is a result of fat loss or just a difference in the water weight at the time?

2)My lifts are intermediate+ regarding many people standards and I was wondering whether a 3300 TDEE was realistic in my PPLPPL routine working 2-3 compounds and then 2-3 isolations + core work without any cardio (yet).Does each of my workouts burn enough calories? to make my TDEE from 2.3k sedentary to 3.3k very active?

Lifts:
    Deadlift:220KG
    Squat:165KG
    Bench:130KG
    Overhead Press:105KG
    Barbell Row:130KG

Thanks for posting.

First the TDEE is an estimate so this is similar to following a training template. You start out with the estimate and then you deviate based on your response (weight loss or weight ggain depending on the goal). So I would never get too wrapped up about being super precise with that. Just start on a calorie level that makes sense and is less than what you are currently on and scale down from there. To answer your questions

1) You won't until you've tried it for a couple of weeks. Pay attention to hunger cues as well. If you are mildly hungry at the end of the day you are probably in a deficit.
    2) I don't think you are at the highest activity level but I do think you are up there given the amount of weight you are lifting and the recovery required for that.

Does this make sense?
    Last edited by Robert Santana; 05-25-2019 at 12:17 AM.

It absolutely does, like a reality snap to be fair. I changed my 3 times full body to 6 times PPL in an attempt to increase the total calories burned and try to focus a bit more on gaining some muscle/strength on vertical pulling because it lacks in my case whereas on a 3 day full body I didn't know how to manage the exercises.

Also, could I drop my calories to 2500 which is most likely than not a deficit and keep going from there till I stop losing weight? With 2500 should I stick to the 6 day or 3 day split?

Finally, for some reason after 2800cal proved to be a small deficit, I can still keep progressive overloading even out of the novice stage?

4 days is pretty good for most, 6 works too. I ran 6 on my last cut and it was fine. I’d approach your calories with the minimum effective dose approach and cut calories down by ~200-400 when you hit a plateau. Don’t get so wrapped up in the exact number just focus on eating less food than you were previously eating and stick with that for 7 consecutive days. Quite simple isn’t it?