starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Operative Diet for recovery?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    What was said keg being used for?
    In this case literally just water. I found I have a love of sparkling water and I also brew. I had a spare keg around so I keep it filled so I always have sparkling water on tap. That said, I also just kegged up and Imperial Stout.

A keg of sparkling water is a fine idea. Imperial stout is even finer.

A keg of sparkling water is a fine idea. Imperial stout is even finer.
    Idk, a cream ale is a pretty fine beverage as well. Oh how I wish draft "Old Speckled Hen" was more available here in the US. I guess I spent too much time living/working in East Anglia (Norwich specifically)...

I have a client in Chicago who made a fine porter aged in bourbon barrels. Best beer I ever had. He hasn't made more yet but I'm due a case when he does :-).

I have a client in Chicago who made a fine porter aged in bourbon barrels. Best beer I ever had. He hasn't made more yet but I'm due a case when he does :-).
    I would drink that

Black Horizon Brewing Company in Willowbrook, IL

starting strength coach development program
    Robert,

Just a quick update (and necro of this old thread...sorry )....

Anyways, 4 surgeries later (the main one was 14+ hrs long) and the tumor is out. Some minor damage to the nerve that controls my right shoulder, but other than swallowing and a loss of hearing, I'm still six feet this side of the ground.

I've started back in the gym twice now, but had to lay off until the spinal shunt could be dialed up a notch or two (complications that led to the fourth, unplanned, surgery). Now that is has been adjusted, I have started back at low weights, with a focus on diet (I lost 35lbs in two weeks post surgery due to my inability to swallow, and it's impact on my diet). I'm hitting about 2200 cals a day now, with protein intake around 190gr. Since the weights are not excessively heavy, I'm not really trying to "bulk", more hit my target (which is right at a slight caloric surplus for my current weight) and let genetics kick in to grow the lost muscle mass back.

I can not stress enough to folks, two things:

1. If you're going to have a significant surgery that will impact your ability to eat, pack as much weight on (be it BF, muscle, whatever) as you can.

2. Being strong is a frigging God send when it comes to recovering from surgery. I had four surgeons that spent 14+ hrs carving my head apart to get a damned tumor out. ...Two days later, to the shock of the medical staff, I was up and walking laps around the Neuro ICU (granted 2 was my limit, and it tired me out immensely). The physical and mental toughness that come with getting strong have paid HUGE dividends in me surviving the surgery as well as having a fairly speedy recovery (despite complications of a leaky brain a week after the surgery).

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general." Believe it...every friggin word! Be strong!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12