starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upper glute/Piriformis/gluteus medius pain

Default Upper glute/Piriformis/gluteus medius pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The location is on the right side at the upper glute/piriformis/gluteus medius region. I felt it first during my first set of volume day squats (275lb). The pain/soreness only fires when I'm right near my lockout up top. After my first set I slapped some Deep Heat liniment on the area and pushed through the rest of my sets. I would rate the pain a 7.5 out of 10.

The next day I tried some RDLs and DE deadlifts. The RDLs with 185x3x8 did flare it up a bit at hip extension, near lockout but I got through it. When I tried the DE deadlift workset at 245 I only got in two reps, it flared up with the first rep and I ended the session with the second rep in fear of injuring myself.

I've since been taking Ibuprofen 400mg and I've acquired some other anti-inflammatory (Indomethacin) and a muscle relaxant (Tizanidine) from a pharmacy.

Today was my recovery day so I attempted paused light squats at 205x2x5. I warmed up with 45x1x20 LB, 45x1x12 HB, 45x1x10 FS, 95x1x5, 135x1x3, 185x1x2. It didn't flare up until the worksets, although the flare up was minimal.

Should I proceed with my Friday intensity day 340x1x5 squat and what else can I do to help with the healing?

Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post
    what else can I do to help with the healing?

Any help is appreciated.
    Stretching and foam rolling every day. Back, glutes, legs, hips, shoulders. Hit them all with the roller and stretch them hard after training.

In my experience, the only thing that helps with pain of this sort is time. Train through it if you're able; take extra warm-up sets.

Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    Stretching and foam rolling every day. Back, glutes, legs, hips, shoulders. Hit them all with the roller and stretch them hard after training.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by raw32 View Post
    In my experience, the only thing that helps with pain of this sort is time. Train through it if you're able; take extra warm-up sets.
    That's what I was afraid of. Should I be pushing for new PRs on intensity day or just go by how I feel? Sure is frustrating.

Should I be pushing for new PRs on intensity day
    I would. Start working up and if you crap out/the pain is unbearable, stop.

Well it's been about two weeks now, going into the third week, and it's still acting up. I've been taking in about 2.4-2.8gm of Ibuprofen per day. Also, I've begun using a tennis ball to massage the area. All to no avail.

All through last week I've been doing 20 rep squats in place of my TX method routine. On Monday I did 135, 145, 155. Wednesday I did 185, and on Friday I did 190. In each of the last 5-8 reps of those workset weights I did feel it acting up. During the previous two weeks I haven't been able to deadlift at all, I can barely do RDLs.

Woe is me. I really want to hit squats and deadlifts hard but it's really hard to do so in my current state. I just about ready to do anything to get back into full training mode. I heard that GH helps with healing, any truth to that?

Have you considered reducing volume/ taking a week off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    Have you considered reducing volume/ taking a week off?
    I agree. Never underestimate the value of a break.

Well, after resting the muscle from any heavy lifting I tried some deadlifts today. I began with 45x1x8, 135x1x5, 185x1x5, 225x1x2 > I felt a sharp pain at the top of the 225 set. I noticed that if I pull the bar quickly, it triggers the pain more so than if I pull it controlled and slowly. I tried pulling 195x1x5 and 205x1x5 using a controlled, slow pull and there was no pain. The area throbbed after pulling, but no pain.

Should I continue trying to raise my deadlift through this way? and what would my reps/sets look like? My previous best was 365x1x5 before the injury.

It's been a month now and it has gotten better, although not to the extent that I can resume heavy squats and DL. Most I've squatted without any sharp pain was 270. I've tried searching through the forum and through google, it doesn't seem like this a common issue. My freaking luck.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, after resting the muscle from any heavy lifting I tried some deadlifts today. I began with 45x1x8, 135x1x5, 185x1x5, 225x1x2 > I felt a sharp pain at the top of the 225 set. I noticed that if I pull the bar quickly, it triggers the pain more so than if I pull it controlled and slowly. I tried pulling 195x1x5 and 205x1x5 using a controlled, slow pull and there was no pain. The area throbbed after pulling, but no pain.

Should I continue trying to raise my deadlift through this way? and what would my reps/sets look like? My previous best was 365x1x5 before the injury.

It's been a month now and it has gotten better, although not to the extent that I can resume heavy squats and DL. Most I've squatted without any sharp pain was 270. I've tried searching through the forum and through google, it doesn't seem like this a common issue. My freaking luck.
    I have something similar deep inside the glute near the pirif but mine flares up when i hit the bottom of the squat. Was so bad that i was limping for a week. Ive decided to take two weeks off squats and deads and totally let whatever it is calm down. If its still bad after that im going to see a physio as im depressed already missing a week. Presses just arent the same....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast