starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting strong first

Default Getting strong first

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rob,

So abit about past training history and nutrition. I was guilty of running LP over and over in then past and not really getting very far then decided on last shot and just move on to intermediate programming. My last run at LP gave me

Squat 100kg 3x5 > 130kg x 3
    Deadlift 125kg 1x5 > 165kg 2x3
    Press 45kg 3x5 > 62kg 1x1 57.5kg 5x3
    Bench 70kg 3x5 > 105kg 1x1 95kg 5x3

I started that last LP at about 200lb with a 40.5" waist consuming around 2,800cals and after a 12week run finished about 198lb with 40" so waist reduced slightly. I then moved onto Andy Bakers GGW program and midway through decided i would cut due to the 40" waist at 198lb. I lost 8lbs in about 9-10weeks 192lb > 198lb with a 1.5" waist reduction. I was cutting weight down at 2,400cals 220p/250c/60f. I finished Andy's 13weeks program which called for a new 1rm to be tested at the end with poor results due to the weight loss. I could only hit these numbers for 1rm so no progress was made. I learned the hard way the strength must be built first.

Squat 130kg
    Deadlift 160kg
    Press 60kg
    Bench 105kg

I am now abit annoyed with myself as my progress on LP was a building platform but now its time to start over. Goal is to get this Squat to 315lb and Deadlift up to 405lb, get strong and build some muscle first then take care of fat later when alot stronger. Where would you recommend going with calories to get things moving again, back up to 2,800cals. 220p/310c/75f.

Sorry this got long, appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

How many calories were you consuming when you attempted those 1RMs?

I was down around 2,400cals per day Rob

I don't think that you necessarily got weaker rather you were trying to express strength on limited resources. Train for a bit at the higher calorie level, gain a few lb, and peak properly while adequately fueled and you will be fine. Intermediate lifters on calorie restricted diets typically see a reduction in 1RM during the period of restriction followed by a return to baseline with subsequent PRs (if you play your cards right) during the subsequent maintenance and mass phases. Also remember, you have training and you have practice. Triples, fives, eights, tens are all training. 1RM is practice. Does this make sense?

Yeah thanks Rob. I must admit, there were times during that cut when in a deficit when on some days id feel really strong, things moved well and others when things just wouldnt budge.

I thought id ask your opinion on the vertical diet by Stan Efferding? Reason i ask is im having a few digestion/gut troubles and was thinking about giving some of the principles of the verticle diet a try. I already bulk cook my own take on his monster mash on a sunday for the entire week ahead and seem to feel fine after that meal.

Strength tends to oscillate on calorie deficits but in general 1RM attempts rarely end well for post-novice lifters in a caloric deficit. Vertical diet is fine, pretty balanced diet based on the meals i've tried. Meat/Starch/Vegetable, maybe add a fruit in there somewhere and you pretty much covered your bases. What type of digestive issues are you having?

I normally get really bloated after my breakfast (scrambled eggs and a bowl of oats cooked in semi skim milk with honey) with a cup of coffee. Lots of gas, and noise coming from movement in my gut/intestine area then shortly after this meal i tend to have to go straight to the toilet and basically have diarrhea.it frustrates me because all the nutients i just took in come straight out. I recently removed the oats and instead started using diced potatoes in my egg with some veggies. I seem to handle this meal better and no toilet issues thus. I also cut the coffee out too.

Try the oats in ultrafiltered milk, may go down better. What is semi skimmed milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Try the oats in ultrafiltered milk, may go down better. What is semi skimmed milk?
    Thats the 2% fat stuff yeah?

starting strength coach development program
    Semi skim here in the UK is about 2% fat milk. I will look at the ultra filtered Rob, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast