starting strength gym

Thread: Macros Ratio?

Default Macros Ratio?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I'm relatively new here but just wanted to ask for some help.

I'm 21/M/228lbs 6ft 2. Also had my Testosterone levels checked if that makes any difference and it came out at 458ng/dL

I've been running Novice Linear Progression for 2 months now and have made decent progress. Current lifts:
    Squat: 140kg 3x5
    Deadlift: 140kg 1x5
    Press: 52kg 3x5 (microloading)
    Bench: 68kg 3x5 (microloading)

For the past 2 months I've been eating an average of 450C/260P/100F, but last 2 workouts both my upper body exercises failed despite eating this amount and sleeping 8hrs a day. I'd ideally like to shed some weight, my ideal goal is to be a 4p dead, 3p squat, 2p bench and 1p OHP at 200lbs.

Taking my stats into account (if it's of any help at all), what would you suggest I can do to my macros to help me reach those goals while putting on minimal weight or even losing it.

Thanks for posting. Why is your deadlift the same as your squat? How did you start and progress the two lifts? Something went wrong there.

Second, are you missing any reps right now?

Hi Coach,

1) I was having some form issues near the beginning of the programme when setting my back into lumbar and Thoraric extension. By the time I fixed it my squat, I started 10lbs jumps and then moved down to 5lbs. It just so happened that the timing and decrease in LP increments meant I was deadlifting what I could squat. I'm at a stage now where my deadlift should surpass my squat if I can somehow figure out how to get past this stall.

2) I've started to miss reps in pretty much all my exercises in my workouts this week. Previous workout:
    OHP Sets: 53kg (4,4,3)
    Bench: 69kg (5,5,4)
    Squat: 140kg (3,3,3)

Similarly, workout prior to that I failed my reps:
    OHP: 53kg (4,3,2)
    Deadlifts: 142.5kg (3)
    Squats was a light day mid-week session.

I haven't added chins into the programme yet, although I'm considering adding them during my next workouts.

Two things I would recommend:

1) Trainingwise, I would reset everything with a larger reset on the squat. The reason being that because your deadlift was limited by technique for as long as it was the squat got heavy enough to where the work done on it was interfering with the work done on the deadlift. Remember you have similar muscle groups being trained on both so there eventually comes a point where there is overlapping stress and my experience as both a strength coach and lifter has been that the squat will continue to go while the deadlift will stall/remain stapled to the floor. This is likely due to the primarily isometric and concentric nature of the deadlift vs the rebound involved in the squat. In any event, you need to pull squat work to get the back fresh enough to deadlift. You basically artificially lower the squat to get the deadlift up and while this may sound like a setback it really isn't because the squat increases three times per week so you'll get it back up without issue and it may even be easier with a stronger back.

2) Nutritionwise, I'd take a last dodge effort and go for the 500 g carbohydrates and play around with adding more fat as well. I wouldn't go over 150 g and i would certainly not go straight to 150 g. Slow titration and use that as your upper limit.

Also, are you doing your lat pulldowns/chin ups?