starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It is always better to sleep a solid 7-8 hours vs napping. I believe that is what he was referring to.

I found out to get my training, family time, family work and job work done I need to ideally wake up around 5 AM..this is an ideal not always what happens. To get 8 hours I need to lay down around 8:30. I generally find I am not as productive at work after 8 anyway unless it's a particularly interesting project. I also found my awake time between 8PM (kids bedtime) and 11PM was filled with TV, Youtube, or even worse trying to work on a garage project done (which would then keep me up later). I just try to go to bed early and incorporate 80/20 philosophy into my life. In my opinion you can burn the candle on both ends if you are just exercising but not training like SS. If you rest and take care of you first you will be smarter / more efficient in everything you do because work is about results not spending time doing it. Naps are addictive which is why I don't like them, you start wanting one every day which sucks when you cant.

I find that i feel more exhausted when I nap. I prefer the full nights sleep whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    I find that i feel more exhausted when I nap. I prefer the full nights sleep whenever possible.
    I'd also recommend trying to schedule sleep in a way that optimizes sleep cycles. Most people's sleep cycle is about 90 minutes, so sleeping for 6, 7.5, or 9 hours is usually more restful than something in between. Even 4.5 hours, while not adequate for recovery from lifting, is more refreshing for me than say 5, or 7.

Naps are the same way (with the exception of a 15 minute catnap that can do wonders for alertness). 1.5 hours is far better than 1 hour, or 2 hours, in terms of grogginess. But, overall, it's still better to get it all in one stretch. Although a few hundred years ago a split sleep was the norm, I've read. I suppose if it were broken up into units divisible by 90 minutes it could work...I haven't tried it (willingly, anyway). 4 kids and a dog tend to create their own scheduling challenges.

Even if you can’t sleep more, improving sleep quality will make a huge difference. I’m a side sleeper and I recently starting folding up a towel and putting it under my pillow for shoulder and neck support, and I roll and pleat another towel and put it under my low back. I’ve slept much better and wake up a lot more refreshed since I’ve started doing this.
    About an hour before bed I’ll do the same routine every night which lets my body know it’s time for bed. I personally take melatonin then do something that doesn’t stimulate the brain too much such as read.

A good foam mattress, weighted blanket, and blackout curtains did wonders for me. Low hanging fruit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff DrinkLots View Post
    I am 46 years old - 3 kids, a dog, work are all factors that effect the time and quality of sleep
    At 46, I'd expect your kids to be old enough to not require constant monitoring. If they're noisy, earplugs work wonders. I'm skeptical that you'd have to settle for 5 hours of sleep if you applied some creative problem-solving.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff DrinkLots View Post
    This is good advise too. But one question —What do you mean by real rest vs pseudo rest?
    IMHO

real rest = rest
    pseudo rest = not working out, but shoveling a bunch of gravel or snow around the yard or helping your friend move into a new apartment, etc.

Try to REST on rest days and stack your chores and what not onto your workout days, I think.

As others stated... Naps are a band-aid against the problem of not getting enough sleep at night. I think everyone is different, but humans in general need a certain amount of physical REST and a certain amount of REM sleep. For the general population, this is most easily accomplished with 8 hours of quality sleep a night.

If you can't get that... you can't get it. Supplement with naps and see if it helps. It does for me. MAYBE I'm not as rested as I would be with 8 hours of quality sleep. MAYBE I'm only like 90% as well rested. I don't know how to tell. But MAYBE that's also good enough to recover from my workouts. *shrug*

One thing I always heard about naps ... and I have not tested this... but some folks say there is a sweet spot of like 20-30 minutes. If you go over that, you might wake up MORE tired than if you had not napped at all. I *heard* that if you go over 30, you should go all the way to 2 hours or more. But I have no idea if that's really true. I know I do very well with a 30 min nap.

Hi, I've suffered of insomnia caused by stress (gym and life stress), anxiety and stuff... I have tried multiple solutions to that, and after many attempts I can say that for me the most powerful supplement for sleeping better is "Neuro Rest" by UTMOST ME, you can find it on amazon. In addition to the supplement the company gives a 4 week plan for increase sleep quality, you can find it on the site and it will be free unlocked when you'll get the code from buying it. I find it very helpful! Another thing I've bought is a bluetooth sleeping eye mask, it covers your face from lights and if you like it, you can listen to relaxing music when sleeping.
    I will try meditation and yoga, but not yet tried it, although I think it could help.
    Finally when I can't fall asleep at all, or in hard stress periods, I drink 2 (and not more) glass of red good wine before going to bed.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    A good foam mattress
    I trusted you before I read that, Robert. Those things are awful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast