starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sleeping issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Do we actually know this? My personal experience is I feel more rested if I have had 1-3 drinks any time within 4 hours of going to bed.

Damn, that is tough.
    To your first point, yes. Google "glutamine rebound."

Regarding the commute... I am lucky enough to be able to vary office hours (8 minimum) between 6AM-9AM and 3PM-6PM so I can generally leave and return during the slower times of rush hour. It's still about an hr each way though, under the best of conditions. Anyhow, most days I try to just slide over into the right-lane and go with the flow, leaving a little room in front of me so I don't have the "oh shit, brakes, BRAKES!" moments too frequently. Decent music/radio/books on tape/whatever can actually make it reasonable "down-time", I think. I hate the waste of time it is in general, but I think it can be used to allow for some sort of recovery, especially if you have a physical job.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    Do we actually know this? My personal experience is I feel more rested if I have had 1-3 drinks any time within 4 hours of going to bed.
    There are too many variables to say more than that we “know” it disrupts sleep stages. Less rem, more alpha wave, etc., if I recall. Because the subjective perception of sleep quality is even worse that the monitor and focus on the monitor’s benchmarks provide, I’m willing to half-assedly experiment with n=1. Eventually, maybe I’ll see something that helps, at least for me. WHOOP users do tend to cut back on their alcohol and believe it helps recovery, and there is talk of it on its website.

starting strength coach development program
    I need to set aside some time to really dive into this topic.

Going back to the foam mattress issue, what have people here had success with? My two problems with foam are: Too much heat retention. And, once I passed about 225lbs, the foam was not supportive anymore, even if I bought the highest density.

I typically sleep on the floor and have had satisfactory (better than mattresses) results after about a 6 - 12 month adjustment period.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234