starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping issues

Default Sleeping issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I can get about 5-6 hours a sleep at night - unfortunately, it is really the best I can do (3 kids, a dog, work are all factors that effect the time and quality of sleep)

Is there anything I can do to supplement that aspect of recovery?

I am 46 years old - I am running the NLP, again, after a couple of unsuccessful runs over the past two years.
    I am 215 lbs.

You cannot supplement sleep but you could buy a good quality bed, pillows, bedding, and blackout curtains to maximize the quality of the sleep you are getting. Outside of that you just have to make the best of a suboptimal situation.

How tall are you?

Hello. Thanks for the response. I’m 6 foot even.

You are very welcome. You are at a good weight, just need to figure out how to balance your recovery as best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You just need to figure out how to balance your recovery as best you can.
    Thanks again. That's going to be the challenge - but it's always has been for me (and I am sure for most guys in my demographic) - the weights room is the easy part (relatively) - the hard part is getting the necessary good calories and sleep. Would you be able to suggest a good caloric range that i should strive for?

As you know easy doesn't work. Try the low hanging fruit that I outlined. In general you should aim for at least 3000 calories and adjust from there. If you'd like specific nutrition advice I am available for consults right now and have a few client openings available.

My workouts are in the morning before work, so I am getting up around 4 to 4:30. My wife is not wanting to go to bed at 9:00ish like me, especially in the summer.
    Sometimes I only get 5 or 6 good hours at night, but I have been able to come home and squeeze in some naps after work, particularly if the kids are at some kind of practice. That seems to be helping me quite a bit.
    I really just had to let go of some of my over scheduling. Fewer social meetings after work. Fewer chores during the week after work, etc. etc.
    Also... I have to have more true rest on rest days and less "pseudo" rest.

Reference... I am 53y, with 3 teenagers still at home.

You could try to get a 10-20 minute nap in, it can really help to get through the day. I work shift work and this really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    As you know easy doesn't work. Try the low hanging fruit that I outlined. In general you should aim for at least 3000 calories and adjust from there. If you'd like specific nutrition advice I am available for consults right now and have a few client openings available.
    Thanks for the advice. And I’ll consider the consults. Thanks again for everything

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Epictetus8540 View Post
    My workouts are in the morning before work, so I am getting up around 4 to 4:30. My wife is not wanting to go to bed at 9:00ish like me, especially in the summer.
    Sometimes I only get 5 or 6 good hours at night, but I have been able to come home and squeeze in some naps after work, particularly if the kids are at some kind of practice. That seems to be helping me quite a bit.
    I really just had to let go of some of my over scheduling. Fewer social meetings after work. Fewer chores during the week after work, etc. etc.
    Also... I have to have more true rest on rest days and less "pseudo" rest.

Reference... I am 53y, with 3 teenagers still at home.
    This is good advise too. But one question —What do you mean by real rest vs pseudo rest?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast