starting strength gym

Thread: Calibrating a post-surgery diet for a few weeks without lifting

Default Calibrating a post-surgery diet for a few weeks without lifting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mr. Santana and the Nutrition subforum,

I'm a guy in my mid-thirties who's been lifting for a few years now. I'm getting surgery on my chest tomorrow, and I'll be out of the gym for some time. I'd like to know how much I should be eating to a) avoid getting fat and b) keep as much strength as possible.

Some details. First, my lifts: my 1RMs are currently 390 lbs squat, 400 DL, 160 press, and 257.5 bench. I'd guess from these numbers that in an early-intermediate lifter, though you tell me. I'm weighing 204lbs these days, and I'm 6'0 tall. I don't know my BF percentage, and I have no idea how to assess it, even crudely, but I can say that I'm mostly happy with my body fat except a bit of a belly. (Outside of this post and surgery situation, I'd like to lose some of that long term.)

I'll be banned from the gym for two weeks after this surgery, and for four weeks I won't be able to do any upper body lifts, including, I imagine, the squat.

I've had breaks for lifting before for various reasons, and I've noticed that my body sheds weight extremely quickly. When I return, my gains have diminished aggressively. Then again, when I've taken breaks before, I have no idea how to eat: many times I've drastically reduced my caloric intake due to not being lifting-hungry anymore.

Right now, I'm eating about 3000 cal/day, and my macros are pretty well balanced, with a little less fat than I've had in the past (see belly above).

Any ideas? I'm guessing I shouldn't keep eating the same amount, and I know that I'm bound to lose *some* strength, but has anyone ever planned well for an extended break and gained any wisdom? I'm really proud of how far I've come in our little hobby, and I'd like to bounce back as smoothly as possible. Thanks in advance, and let me know if I've left any essential information out.

Thanks for sharing. I'd suggest keeping the protein intake at 200+ grams per day carbs over 200 and fats over 100 g for starters. If you start gaining fat on that then scale the fat number down lower etc. High protein intake is the best you can do in terms of minimizing muscle loss, which should theoretically minimize strength loss. You also need the extra protein to facilitate wound healing post surgery so there is that.