starting strength gym

Thread: How much is too much food?

Default How much is too much food?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I have learned how important it is to fuel the machine to make progress on lifting. My question is what is too much? What are signs that you are taking in too much food? More specifically if I have a computer job so am not physically active other than lifting.

I don't think I am, but I am trying to really lock in a good meal routine and want to keep making gains with gaining unnecessary fat (I realize some is necessary). Should I expect my waist measurement to get bigger at the end of LP?

As I stated in a previous thread, I am 23, 6' 1", and went from 170lb to 210lb in 9 months. I have not done any body fat percentage estimates.

Thanks for the help!

What is your current waist measurement, daily macros, and best lifts?

It depends on how big you want to get. Like was posted, what's your waist measurement or bodyfat estimate? This would help determine what you should do. Ultimately, you have to decide how big you want to be, but personally you have a lot of room to grow at 6'1" 210. And being only 23, it's still the prime time of your life to make the easiest gains. If I was your age and height, I would keep going until I hit 250, making sure my waist never went over 38" or so, and then reassess. If it's getting to big compared to muscle, clean up the diet.

Current Waist: 41"
    Macros: 2500-3500 Calories
    Protein: Average 180g
    Carbs: Average 280g
    Fat: Average 90g

My consistency with eating has been a challenge, some days I skip meals if I am busy. Others I can get close to 4000. I realize this needs to change...

DL: 360lb for 2
    Squat: 315lb for 2
    BP: 187.5 for 1
    OHP: 137.5 for 2

Well I can tell you right now that you should not gain anymore weight. Your lifts are the best proxy. If you are 210 and not able to deadlift 405 x 5 then you probably need to work on fixing that problem before gaining anymore weight. A mini cut may be fine with the understanding that you'll be going back up at the end of it. In short, if you are gaining weight you should be gaining strength and if you are not there is a good chance you are just gaining body fat. Quite simple isn't it?

My current project has be computer programming and stuck at the desk too much. I'm just under double your age and shorter/weaker so take this with a grain of salt: an office job plus JUST lifting and eating isn't enough for me to keep fat off and feel good about myself outside of improving strength. I need to be more active than that or I start getting wheezy up the stairs. It may have to do with insulin sensitivity or other factors too, not sure. I've incorporated morning walks (10 minutes to 30 minutes), short walks or activity after I eat and light cardio days in-between the SS progression. Frequent 10 minute walks or doing things like 10 reps of air squats at your desk will improve your recovery, burn more calories and make you feel generally better in combination with tuning nutrition.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post
    My current project has be computer programming and stuck at the desk too much. I'm just under double your age and shorter/weaker so take this with a grain of salt: an office job plus JUST lifting and eating isn't enough for me to keep fat off and feel good about myself outside of improving strength. I need to be more active than that or I start getting wheezy up the stairs. It may have to do with insulin sensitivity or other factors too, not sure. I've incorporated morning walks (10 minutes to 30 minutes), short walks or activity after I eat and light cardio days in-between the SS progression. Frequent 10 minute walks or doing things like 10 reps of air squats at your desk will improve your recovery, burn more calories and make you feel generally better in combination with tuning nutrition.
    I don't think I, or any other coach, has advocated for a sedentary lifestyle outside of the gym. That would be malpractice.