starting strength gym

Thread: Egg Protein w/BCAA vs Whey?

Default Egg Protein w/BCAA vs Whey?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I’ve always had problems with dairy and hormonal acne since I was young. When I use whey and milk in my diet I wake up each morning with flare ups around my chin. I am once again experiencing this as whey and milk have made up a good chunk of my 200 grams of protein I consume a day. I am going to make the switch to almond milk ( with my heaping bowl of oatmeal I consume daily) and add some more chicken at dinner time. I’m also considering the switch from whey to egg white protein. I’m aware that it’s not optimal, but is it a total waste? Shakes have come in handy for me and I’d like to continue to utilize them.

Bummer man. Have you tried lactase enzymes?? I'd try egg white protein powder it gets the job done. What actual foods are you consuming and how often?

Greek yougurt with blueberries and low-fat granola. Chicken breast, with white rice. Oatmeal with milk raisins and cinnamon. Whey shakes, two scoops in morning after I train, or on days I don’t train, one scoops usually before Bed.

I’m going to cut out the milk and whey, keep the Greek yogurt. I’ll go almond and egg protein powder. I just wanted to make sure you didn’t tell me the Egg Powder was a total waste of money.

It's not a waste of money if the other is giving you problems. Now if you are having to consume more than 2 shakes per day then you have bigger problems in your diet that need to be addressed.

No more than 2 shakes. Usually just one in the morning, one at night if needed

That should be perfectly fine then

This is my first post on here, but I figure it's as good a topic as any. I also have significant problems with lactose. I keep a big box of lactase tabs in our kitchen and even have some stashed in my wife's purse for nights out, but it's definitely not what I would consider to be enough of a fix for daily lactose consumption. Taking lactase (usually 4-6 tabs so not underdosing) leaves me with significant amounts of gas and moderate bloating vs horrible cramping and diarrhea without it. Sometimes a bowl of ice cream or a pasta with cream sauce is worth a little gas. I just cannot convince myself that whey protein is worth daily gas and bloating.

Anyway, I've been using egg white protein for most of a year now. It's a little more expensive than whey, and it doesn't mix into shakes very well at all. It's just too gummy/gooey when it gets wet. I've had the best time with it making it into no bake protein bars. The recipe I'm currently using gives 282 kcal, 23g protein, 23 carbs w/4g fiber, and 13 grams of fat. I use the bulksupplements brand because of price and Amazon prime shipping.

I'm not currently on NLP as I'm waiting until I sell a piece of land (currently under contract) to purchase a power rack and barbells for me and my wife. Currently using some Bowflex 1090 dumbbells to best approximate the workout that I can and mostly making progress on press/benchpress but not so much on squat and DL...

That's to say that, once I'm equipped to start a legit NLP, I'm considering changing the recipe to a more aggressive mix that will yield 621 kcal, 46g protein, 41g carbs w/9g fiber, and 35g fat. I couldn't get away with eating more than 2 of these per day in addition to my regular meals without blowing up, but 4 of these per day is VERY similar to GOMAD from a pure macro perspective.

I'm happy to post recipes if anyone is interested (they're simple and pretty tasty) and would love feedback from Robert on how the numbers look for these.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRawk View Post
    This is my first post on here, but I figure it's as good a topic as any. I also have significant problems with lactose. I keep a big box of lactase tabs in our kitchen and even have some stashed in my wife's purse for nights out, but it's definitely not what I would consider to be enough of a fix for daily lactose consumption. Taking lactase (usually 4-6 tabs so not underdosing) leaves me with significant amounts of gas and moderate bloating vs horrible cramping and diarrhea without it. Sometimes a bowl of ice cream or a pasta with cream sauce is worth a little gas. I just cannot convince myself that whey protein is worth daily gas and bloating.

Anyway, I've been using egg white protein for most of a year now. It's a little more expensive than whey, and it doesn't mix into shakes very well at all. It's just too gummy/gooey when it gets wet. I've had the best time with it making it into no bake protein bars. The recipe I'm currently using gives 282 kcal, 23g protein, 23 carbs w/4g fiber, and 13 grams of fat. I use the bulksupplements brand because of price and Amazon prime shipping.

I'm not currently on NLP as I'm waiting until I sell a piece of land (currently under contract) to purchase a power rack and barbells for me and my wife. Currently using some Bowflex 1090 dumbbells to best approximate the workout that I can and mostly making progress on press/benchpress but not so much on squat and DL...

That's to say that, once I'm equipped to start a legit NLP, I'm considering changing the recipe to a more aggressive mix that will yield 621 kcal, 46g protein, 41g carbs w/9g fiber, and 35g fat. I couldn't get away with eating more than 2 of these per day in addition to my regular meals without blowing up, but 4 of these per day is VERY similar to GOMAD from a pure macro perspective.

I'm happy to post recipes if anyone is interested (they're simple and pretty tasty) and would love feedback from Robert on how the numbers look for these.
    I don't think you need to supplement protein if you are consuming enough solid protein. I personally do not supplement protein and I'm doing just fine. I cannot comment on your recipe without knowing your height and weight. The fat content looks a little high though.

It's a little more work but you can try mixing whey with Kefir and add some frozen fruit for a protein smoothie. The bacteria/enzymes in the Kefir may help with the lactose or whey issues and also might improve your "gut health".

starting strength coach development program
    Kefir is pretty good stuff in general. Highly recommend.