starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low-fodmap and still gut issues

Default Low-fodmap and still gut issues

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rob,

I wonder if maybe you see anything within my diet that looks like it could be causing me gut issues (bloating/gas/diarrhea). I first thought it might be milk and oats so i've taken them out and replaced oats with potatoes. Ive also been making my own version of Monster Mash as its meant to be gut friendly but i am still having problems here and getting frustrated as i feel all the good nutrition is just going to waste.
    So, this is basically what my day looks like, all whole foods, natrual, and i wonder if you see any red flags.

Breakfast
    1 large glass water 5g creatine while i cook breakfast.
    ** diced cooked potatoes 150g
    3 eggs 3 whites
    Spinach 80g
    Low fat shredded cheese 30g
    All scrambled together in 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
    1 large orange

Snack
    Low fat cottage cheese 300g
    Diced pineapple chunks 140g

Lunch
    ** Monster Mash

Dinner
    ** Monster Mash

Pre bed
    0% fat greek yogurt 200g
    Vanilla impact whey 1 scoop

** Diced potatoes are cooked in air fryer with olive olive, salt/pepper then thrown in with the eggs on a morning for breakfast.

** Monster Mash is
    1kg 95/5 ground beef
    3 peppers
    300g carrot batons
    1tbsp olive oil
    375g basmati rice
    1 knorr chicken stock cube
    Salt/pepper
    I divide this up 5 days for my lunch and repeat the process for dinners.

I thought it was down to the oats causing the issues but since eliminating those and milk, after my breakfast meal this morning i still had diarrhea preety much straight after consumption. Any ideas Rob, i'm stumped as everything appears low-fodmap, all natural ingredients but still having issues. I also loved my morning oats and they are looking like not even being the culprit.

Have you tried eliminating the creatine?

No, I have been taking 5g per day for some time. Would creatine have that effect on the gut? I will try that if you recomend it. Will it have much impact on strength gains eliminating the creatine. One thing i do notice since i started the creatine is my urine is usually very dark in colour now and strong in smell.

How much water are you drinking? Digestive issues are a side effect of creatine consumption yes.

I try to get 3ltrs per day but must admit lately i have not been getting anywhere near that. Maybe, some days only maybe 3 tall glasses. I need to get water intake consistent.

You need water for many things but in your case to accommodate the creatine consumption as well as the fiber intake.

Thanks mate. I will make sure to get atleast 3ltrs a day, everyday.

If you’re trying to follow a low-FODMAP diet, you should stop eating all that dairy. Cottage cheese is only low-FODMAP at a serving size of 40g or less. More than that and you get too much lactose which is not compliant with the diet. Yogurt is also probably not low-FODMAP unless you’re eating lactose-free yogurt. The shredded cheese might not be either, depending on the type and amount of cheese. If your whey is not a whey isolate, I believe it might contain lactose too.

Personally, I can’t tolerate yogurt in my diet, so I wonder if the dairy might be what’s bothering you. Some lactose-free dairy products bother me too, so if it was me I’d eliminate all dairy for at least 6 weeks before trying it again in small amounts and then increasing the amount gradually. After doing the low-FODMAP diet I’ve found that sometimes it takes about two weeks of eating something every day before I know if I can tolerate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tate1981 View Post
    Thanks mate. I will make sure to get atleast 3ltrs a day, everyday.
    You are welcome. Keep us posted!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for this, yeah, the more reading up on it im doing on FODMAP the more im wondering about the dairy and impact whey consumption. As for the cheese, i only do 30g serving over my eggs. I have been toying with the idea of removing the dairy and see what happens. I tried lactose-free semi skim milk last night and even that gave me some pretty nasty bloating. With the cottage cheese, i dont seem to get much if any problems right after eating that. Its so frustrating because one day can be fine then the next day eating pretty much the same stuff can trigger allsorts of gut issues.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast