starting strength gym

Thread: Huge variance in calories

Default Huge variance in calories

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Why is there such a massive difference in calories required between calculators?

I've used the To Be a Beast calculator chart several times and for me to lose weight it says I need to eat 3080kcals a day - yet if I eat this I almost certainly would gain weight :/

Other calculators tell me I need to eat 2200, which I have found to be effective, but as a 6ft tall 270lb man find this super hard to stick to.

Could you shed any light?

Also I remember being 220lb an asking on here how to drop 10lb... FML!

You probably need to be somewhere in between 2200 and 3000 calories based on your report alone. However, let me ask you this. Do you eat the same number of calories 7 days per week?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    You probably need to be somewhere in between 2200 and 3000 calories based on your report alone. However, let me ask you this. Do you eat the same number of calories 7 days per week?
    No I would admit to being inconsistent.

I find it hard unless you eat almost the exact same thing daily.

Hard to be exact, yes, but you should be reasonably close. Going from 80 g fat to maybe 90-100 g fat on the weekends is one thing. Going from 80 g fat to 180 g fat is another and trying to keep that gap reasonably narrow is not unrealistic once you establish some good eating habits.

Hard to be exact, yes, but you should be reasonably close. Going from 80 g fat to maybe 90-100 g fat on the weekends is one thing. Going from 80 g fat to 180 g fat is another and trying to keep that gap reasonably narrow is not unrealistic once you establish some good eating habits.
    Could you make some suggestions for ‘good eating habits’ please Coach?

Sure. In general eat lean protein (<10 g fat per 4 oz servings of meat or low fat or nonfat dairy), lots of complex carbohydrates and fruits, and keep the fats under ~100 g and from fatty fish, nuts, and avocados and you should be good to go.

...and keep the fats under ~100 g and from fatty fish, nuts, and avocados and you should be good to go.
    Hey Coach. Not OP, but could you elaborate on this a bit? Not so much the limit, I get that. The sources, though. Is it a saturated vs monounsaturated thing? What about whole milk or eggs?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, I choose those sources because of the saturated:monounsaturated fat ratio but also the omega 3s and other essential fatty acids as well as fat soluble vitamins and fiber (in avocados)contained in those foods. Eggs and whole milk are good too and I've never advised against them just watch the total amount per day if you tend to be someone that easily gains fat.