starting strength gym

Thread: A carb question for curiosity sake.

Default A carb question for curiosity sake.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you think it would be possible to get enough carbs from purely vegetables sources to fuel LP? If you used riced broccoli as a sub for regular rice and stir frys along with enough protein to fill out the calories. Again this is more for curiosity, what do you guys think?

Mostly this idea came about because I’m sitting here watching Aquaman and I remembered something Jason Momoa said once about eating nothing but lean protein and veg, and saving the carbs for beer.

Unlikely because vegetables are mostly comprised of fiber and slow digesting carbohydrates. You need a certain amount of starch and sugar to handle the training window and for glycogen storage.

Enough carbs to live? sure. Enough to train SSLP and make gains just eating broccoli and low carb veggies, you would need to eat a LOT. Googling shows 5 grams carbs in 1 cup broccoli and 45 grams carbs in 1 cup cooked rice... so eat 9 cups of broccoli at every meal.... OY! And like Robert said slow digesting isn't optimal for recovery right? Could you pound through your new PR on the SS plan, then blend a shake of 9 cups of broccoli with your whey and drink it... barf....

He'd spend more time in the toilet than under the barbell if he pulled it off.

That would make for a really unproductive day indeed. I do eat rice though. I have found though that riced broccoli to be an easier way to eat it though. And by weight 1 cup of riced equals 2 cups of florets and is so much easier to eat. (At least for me)

[QUOTE=traprater Jason Momoa said once about eating nothing but lean protein and veg.[/QUOTE]

Trap, don't forget, actors get paid a lot of money to look a certain way on camera and cannot admit to all the various pills they take to look that way...I doubt it was just lean protein and vegetables in Mr. Momoa's case.

Actors do very bizarre things. Marlon Brando covered this, among other things, in his autobiography.

starting strength coach development program
    "Songs My Mother Taught Me" is an excellent read.