starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow Pain on Presses

Default Elbow Pain on Presses

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting recently I’ve been getting some elbow pain while pressing and bench pressing. Most of the pain is in the tip of the elbow and it gets worse the more I continue pressing.
    Yesterday I tried widening my grip a finger width on the bench and It helped. My dad also mentioned that the LTEs I’ve been doing could be agitating my joints, and I’ve also done some reading on other posts and read that squat grip width could cause elbow pain, and I am a pretty wide guy and squat with my hands almost touching the hooks on the rack, however I don’t feel much pain when I squat. The pain will almost completely cease if I incline press for accessory work.
    I’d love to get some thoughts on this. Thank you!

I would start by dropping the LTEs.

I've had a similar problem for years; the pain actually seems to be in the area to either side of the tip. It's not golfer's elbow or tennis elbow. The closest medical description that I've found is "Posterior Impingement Syndrome".

Yes, I aggravated it tremendously with LTEs, but I quit them years ago. This pain has sometimes been so intense that I almost dropped the barbell. Bench press is most painful, then the press. Icing immediately after the workout helps a little bit.

I saw an orthopedist, who tried to sell me on bursitis of the elbow, even though there was no swelling. I got a couple of shots, which helped a little bit, but the pain came back full bore once I started lifting again.

I've recently had some success with stretching of the forearm flexor muscles, something prescribed for Posterior Impingement Syndrome" and it seems to be helping. My last two bench & press workouts were pretty pain free, although I had some soreness afterwards.