starting strength gym

Thread: Mycoprotein

Default Mycoprotein

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Study from the University of Exeter says mycoprotein better than milk protein for building muscle.

Featured news - Quorn protein builds muscle better than milk protein - University of Exeter

I don't see any measurements of lean mass before and after chronic training.

This isn’t a study, it’s a press release. The research was sponsored by a manufacturer of “mycoprotein” supplements and tested only their proprietary blend. And they didn’t look at any chronic results. It’s not published or peer-reviewed, was presented at a meeting, probably in a panel or poster. Long way to go before we would consider this “proven.”

My guess is if you want to pay extra $$ for fungal protein, it’s probably not inferior to whey, and might even be better for building muscles. Try it out and let us know!

I'm pretty sure that the difference between protein powders in terms of their impact on lean mass and strength is marginal. Training has the biggest impact and the rest of it need not be complicated IMO

Some Info on Mycoprotiein

It looks inferior to beef and egg to me, it's a lot lower on leucine. I'd rather eat a real burger and drink some whey than have some fungus.

Quote Originally Posted by bracemaker View Post

It looks inferior to beef and egg to me, it's a lot lower on leucine. I'd rather eat a real burger and drink some whey than have some fungus.
    Seems pretty bang on!

Quote Originally Posted by bracemaker View Post

The question is whether it is a better source than whey, not whether it could replace a burger.

The numbers in their chart don’t make sense to me (1g of leucine per 100g protein is very low for any of these sources), but if mycoprotein is superior to whey and makes a tasty shake, they may be onto something. I doubt it, but more will probably be revealed, if they can maintain their marketing momentum.

It also has 11 g protein per 100 g, which means that if you were to double the serving and eat 200 g, you would get 22 g protein with 11 g of leucine, which is not marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It also has 11 g protein per 100 g, which means that if you were to double the serving and eat 200 g, you would get 22 g protein with 11 g of leucine, which is not marginal.
    Is there some advantage to varying protein powders from different sources. I slip in a vegan powder among whey and casen, from time to time. Is variety presumptively healthier?

starting strength coach development program
    Depends on the micronutrient or amino acid profiles. In general, I always recommend eating a variety of food sources to obtain a variety of nutrients.