starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gain strength vs lose weight dilemma

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Experience has shown me that body composition changes, especially in the upper body musculature, are quite noticeable for most males when the deadlift breaks 400 for 5 repetitions. I don't have a p value if that's what you are looking for but I will say that objectively it is more than 2.5x the lean mass of most novice men, which could help explain my observation. The muscle gaining side effect of getting stronger becomes more apparent in the upper body when the deadlift gets appreciably heavy.
    Awesome! Thanks for that Robert. I better get my deadlift up!

You are very welcome and you most certainly should. Report back when you do

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    Experience has shown me that body composition changes, especially in the upper body musculature, are quite noticeable for most males when the deadlift breaks 400 for 5 repetitions. I don't have a p value if that's what you are looking for but I will say that objectively it is more than 2.5x the lean mass of most novice men, which could help explain my observation. The muscle gaining side effect of getting stronger becomes more apparent in the upper body when the deadlift gets appreciably heavy.
    Robert - have you noticed anything different in this regard as to masters lifters - particularly those who started lifting later in life? I am 53 with one year of lifting. I am still only at about 300 lbs on the DL and have seen a small amount of body comp change, but not a significant amount. I have wondered if at my age if it will be possible to truly make a large difference.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes. Muscle acquisition is more difficult with age so it takes longer to get up there. If you are asking if an older guy can get there lifting less weight simply because he is old, the answer is generally no. Old = harder not easier.

I have a client your age who pulled 415 x 5 @ 245-250 and from behind you can't tell that he is overweight because his back, lats, and traps dwarf his waist now. One of the most fascinating before and afters I've ever seen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12