starting strength gym

Thread: Lost on where to start for macros & total calories

Default Lost on where to start for macros & total calories

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    To start, I did read Robert's position papers. However, I find that I am in a combination of factors which require deviation from the general caloric advice posted in the caloric intake article. I'm starting the program tomorrow and was going to do Keto during. After reading Robert's articles and other articles/videos, I see that's not going to help and now. That's fine, but now I'm left confused about how to structure my eating plan.

My KPIs:
    6'3'' 295lbs
    will work out 3 days/wk

Can someone point me in the direction I need or provide some help?

Thanks!
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by ooguyx View Post
    To start, I did read Robert's position papers. However, I find that I am in a combination of factors which require deviation from the general caloric advice posted in the caloric intake article. I'm starting the program tomorrow and was going to do Keto during. After reading Robert's articles and other articles/videos, I see that's not going to help and now. That's fine, but now I'm left confused about how to structure my eating plan.

My KPIs:
    6'3'' 295lbs
    will work out 3 days/wk

Thanks!
    Roy
    What are your goals: Why are you starting SS? Why are you following a keto diet?

Quote Originally Posted by ooguyx View Post

My KPIs:
    6'3'' 295lbs
    will work out 3 days/wk

Thanks!
    Roy
    Keto is not compatible with vigorous training of any kind so I'm glad that made sense to you. Yes, there are elites that follow keto diets and can still outperform us. There are elites that clean in a S curve, deadlift with a round back, or squat high bar and still outperform many of us. Same idea so just wanted to acknowledge these phenoms so that we get that out of the way.

Which part of my articles was confusing? The carbohydrate one is coming soon so that may clarify some things but since you need this advice now I'm happy to provide some general guidance.

Well, I just watched your conversation with Rippetoe which cleared up some of my misunderstandings. So here's what I'm understanding:

As a novice with a BMI of 36.9, I should focus on lowering fat and keeping protein and carbs high. My remaining confusion comes from how much to eat, calorie-wise. I just started today tracking what I'm eating with the Cronometer app to get an idea of current calorie intake.

Knowing an exact number is not possible from a single data point but what I would suggest is reducing your caloric intake ~200-500 calories under what you are currently eating now and starting there. In my experience most overweight or obese male lifters will lose eating somewhere between 2000 and 3000 self reported calories.