starting strength gym

Thread: How much "should" I weigh??

Default How much "should" I weigh??

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 45, 6'5". Went from 212 to 225 after 18 months of SS. Best 1RM lifts are 300 BS/385 DL/ 265 BP/ 165 P and getting better, EXCEPT, my squat.

I've gone to see Mr Baker, so its not form. I feel very much like a 300 BS represents a cap at my bodyweight, despite trying several intermediate programs. I'd really like to break this rut.

Other consideration, I still have to do a 1.5M run and waist measurement with the Air Force a couple times a year so I can't afford a lot of fluff.

So, out of curiosity, any opinion on where my body weight should be and how I should add calories? I understand that its impossible to gain muscle without fat, but I'd like to bias it towards the former.

Thanks

I'd say you should start by breaking 230 and seeing what happens. I trained a guy who was 6'4" 175 lb and pushed him up to 240. It wasn't until he cleared 230 that his squat started really moving. He hit 315 @ 3 x 5 after being stuck at 275 @ 3 x 5 for months. Not sure what that would do to your waist but you'll have to try it out and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    I'm 45, 6'5". Went from 212 to 225 after 18 months of SS. Best 1RM lifts are 300 BS/385 DL/ 265 BP/ 165 P and getting better, EXCEPT, my squat.

I've gone to see Mr Baker, so its not form. I feel very much like a 300 BS represents a cap at my bodyweight, despite trying several intermediate programs. I'd really like to break this rut.

Other consideration, I still have to do a 1.5M run and waist measurement with the Air Force a couple times a year so I can't afford a lot of fluff.

So, out of curiosity, any opinion on where my body weight should be and how I should add calories? I understand that its impossible to gain muscle without fat, but I'd like to bias it towards the former.

Thanks
    Have you tried splitting your deadlift into rack pulls and halting deadlifts? I used to have the same problem with my squat and it turned out that my deadlift was stopping my progression. I think Rip talks about splitting your deadlift in SS book or I read it in one of the articles. To give you a comparison I am 186cm, 36 years old my last week lifts are, squat 175kg 2sets of 3, rack pull 225kg 1x5, bench press 135kg 3x3, overhead press 92,5kg 3x3, my halting deadlift was 195kg 1x5. I also progress weekly, my volume days are Monday and Tuesday and my intensity Thursday and Friday. So the way you split your deadlift is one week you do a rack pull and next week you do a halting deadlift and you try to progress each week, it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajtar View Post
    Have you tried splitting your deadlift into rack pulls and halting deadlifts? I used to have the same problem with my squat and it turned out that my deadlift was stopping my progression. I think Rip talks about splitting your deadlift in SS book or I read it in one of the articles. To give you a comparison I am 186cm, 36 years old my last week lifts are, squat 175kg 2sets of 3, rack pull 225kg 1x5, bench press 135kg 3x3, overhead press 92,5kg 3x3, my halting deadlift was 195kg 1x5. I also progress weekly, my volume days are Monday and Tuesday and my intensity Thursday and Friday. So the way you split your deadlift is one week you do a rack pull and next week you do a halting deadlift and you try to progress each week, it works for me.
    It's rare the deadlift interferes with the squat. More commonly the squat interferes with the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by over40 View Post
    300 BS represents a cap at my bodyweight
    Er, aren't there a lot of people here who weigh less than 200 pounds & can squat a lot more than that? Unless your height makes it a lot harder for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
    Er, aren't there a lot of people here who weigh less than 200 pounds & can squat a lot more than that? Unless your height makes it a lot harder for you?
    Yes, height most certainly matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    It's rare the deadlift interferes with the squat. More commonly the squat interferes with the deadlift.
    Yes you are absolutely right, but I find doing split deadlift routine helped me to continue with my weekly progress, even as an intermediate lifter, it is definitely easier on my nervous system, I have even managed to do rack pulls/halting deadlift on my volume squat day and I had no problems progressing in both. I have found article by Nick Delgadillo Programming Halting Deadlifts | Nick Delgadillo
    I have also forgot to give my weight before, it is 111 kg at the moment and still going up steadily, also I buy trousers size 36.

starting strength coach development program
    Height?

I split the deadlift ROM all of the time for my early intermediates and am a big advocate of that approach as it works reliably well. However, i would not recommend doing this if the deadlift itself is still making progress. The OP is more likely struggling with the squat because of suboptimal levers that can be easily corrected with another 15 lb of body weight.